Query re RAID Options for Shuttle Zen XPC

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Rajan DAtta, May 25, 2004.

  1. Rajan DAtta

    Rajan DAtta Guest

    All concerned,

    I'm setting up a Shuttle Zen XPC machine running Windows 2000. I also
    plan to be run Windows XP and Linux on this machine. I am seeking
    recommendations or personal experiences with RAID options for the Zen
    XPC. My desire behind RAID is to run a simple 2 disk mirror in a
    RAID-1 config. The principle thrust is to reduce the possbility of
    data loss.

    My current configuration has 2 WD 8 MB cache, 120 GB SATA disks. The
    Zen comes with an open PCI slot, and my current thrust is to add a
    SATA based RAID card. I am looking at options like:

    - Promise FastTrak S150 TX2plus
    - Highpoint Rocket 1520
    - other smaller vendors

    Woudl very much welcome your personal experiences, including any
    reasons why certain cards should be discounted, experiences with
    running Linux on a Shuttle Zen (secondary issue for now), and just
    basic advice on RAID and the Zen.

    Regards,

    Rajan

    Rajan DAtta, May 25, 2004

  2. Rajan DAtta

    David Jones Guest

    Why didn't you get the SB61G4 with the built-in RAID-1?

    David Jones, May 25, 2004

  3. Rajan DAtta

    David Jones Guest

    Why didn't you get the ST61G4 with the built-in RAID-1?

    David Jones, May 25, 2004
  4. Rajan DAtta

    Rajan DAtta Guest

    As I've understood it, the Shuttle Zen XPC is Shuttle's best effort at
    a low noise, quiey machine at this time. This comes about from a bunch
    of different technologies. A quiet machine was my number 1 priority; I
    can add RAID later, hard to make a Shuttle quiet.

    Regards,

    Rajan

    Rajan DAtta, May 27, 2004