QUESTION: 7VAXP mobo, RAM question

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Jim Howe, Jan 23, 2004.

  1. Jim Howe

    Jim Howe Guest

    I installed a 512 MByte PC2700 ECC Registered stick in my
    GA-7VAXP mobo; yesterday I installed a second 512 MByte PC2700
    ECC stick, this one "unbuffered" - well oops. Forgot all about
    the particular kind of stick I had originally installed nearly
    a year ago.

    It (the mobo) doesn't seem to like this situation.

    It (the mobo) is alive and well but the BIOS (and Linux) both
    state that I have 512 MByte, not 1 GByte. Liars! Hah!

    As my old pal Bill Noldy used to say, "Something's wrong!"

    OK I shoulda pulled the covers and looked at what I did last
    year before ordering another stick. Oh well.

    I haven't started experimenting yet, but have Googled the
    group over the last half year and not found anyone as dumb
    as me, yet! Well, not exactly as dumb as me!

    So just shoot me - mixing buffered (aka "registered") and
    unbuffered RAM in the same system - this is bad?

    Or maybe anything else? The manual doesn't even mention using
    buffered sticks, but doesn't say *not* to either, AFAIK.

    Or maybe the cas-bar latency values need to be matched between
    sticks?

    For any helpful advice, thanks, gurus!

    (No Spam please, I watch the group!)

    Jim Howe, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Jim Howe

    +CrimsonLiar Guest

    I cannot think of a single motherboard I've ever seen where using 1 buffered
    and 1 un-buffered memory module would work! Come to that I dont want to
    pry, but is there some reason why you are using ECC ram anyhow?

    CrimsonLiar

    +CrimsonLiar, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Jim Howe

    nut cracker Guest

    perhaps he is using his desktop as a server of some kind, and wants to make
    sure that data doesnt get corrupted ?

    Its been known to happen...

    NuTs

    nut cracker, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Jim Howe

    Jim Howe Guest

    Thanks for the replies, and all the best!

    Jim Howe, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Jim Howe

    Dimitris Guest

    Tell you the truth i dont know about mixing registered and unbuffered
    modules, but doing a cmos clear and a load bios defaults, wont hurt
    much. Also check if the board recognizes the dimm stick one at a time.
    Also if the dimms are double-sided go to the advanced options(press
    Ctrl-F1) and check to see that 4 memory banks are enabled. Last think
    is to try all the possible combinations for the dimm positions at the
    mobo that is 1-2,2-1,1-3,3-1,2-3,3-2 total six combos.

    Dimitris, Jan 25, 2004