Question about an Older Nvidia GeForce 2 Card

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Paul, Aug 22, 2009.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Here is the card:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-64MB-nVidia...temZ230361215240QQcategoryZ3762QQcmdZViewItem

    I'm wondering if this Nvidia GeForce 2 card will work with my
    older PC, an HP
    Compaq d530 CMT (3.0 GHz speed, 2 Gigs of RAM). It looks like it
    should fit into
    one of the PCI slots, but now I'm wondering some Newbie questions:

    1) Why doesn't this work with the "AGP slot only" slot? I
    assume
    this is because these were made before the AGP
    standard was
    created?

    2) This only has an analog output. Did they ever make
    Nvidia GeForce2 cards
    for PCI slots, that also had a digital output? My
    HP LP1965 can handle
    both, but the digital image is obviously a bit
    better.

    3) The specs on this card didn't say there was a minimum
    power supply
    requirement, so I assume this older card does not
    draw too much
    current, right? Like fewer transistors than the
    newer cards.

    Thanks in advance for any info.

    Paul, Aug 22, 2009

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Ok, so I just found another GeForce2 card with an AGP
    connection:

    http://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-GeForce2-64MB-Video-Card/dp/B0014C2QAK

    Though, it still only has analog outputs, I suspect it will
    perform better
    because it's on the AGP, right?

    Also, still didn't see a minimum power supply requirement....

    Paul, Aug 22, 2009

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    And yet another AGP one:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/NVIDIA-GeForce2...temQQimsxZ20090730?IMSfp=TL090730153005r35247

    And this one has a DVI port, but i'm not sure if it's
    digital or analog.

    And again, i didn't see a minimum power supply requirement.

    Paul, Aug 22, 2009
  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    This is a 3-D game, with the following requirements:

    RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 - 1.2 GHz or equivalent
    Operating System: Windows Vista/XP
    RAM:1 GB
    DirectX: DirectX® version 9.0b
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 2 or better - ATI Radeon 7000 or better -
    Sis 315
    Sound Card: DirectX® certified sound card
    Internet: DSL or Cable High Speed Internet

    The AGP port is therefore not a requirement per se, but
    I was assuming it would be faster on this port as opposed to
    a regular PCI slot, which the first card i posted was for.

    And a digital output is not a requirement either, but rather
    a preference on my part, because it's usually sharper.

    Ah, good point. Then the cards i posted don't need an
    external
    power connector, and so my 240 Watt power supply should be
    enough.

    Paul, Aug 23, 2009
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    That one looks good. It has 256MB, so it should be a bit
    faster
    than the 64MB dinosaurs i posted before. And still less than $40.

    Thanks!

    Paul, Aug 23, 2009
  6. No. Memory size is not an indicator of card performance. Find out
    whether the memory is 64-bit or 128-bit, and what type it is. GDDR is
    faster than DDR.

    Mike Tomlinson, Aug 30, 2009