Question about DRM or TPM

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by foreign steel, Jul 9, 2006.

  1. foreign steel, Jul 9, 2006

  2. foreign steel

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'foreign steel' wrote, in part:
    | In plain english, does conroe will bring DRM or TPM?
    _____

    DRM requires an operating system that supports DRM. No DRM support, no DRM
    content. That is the purpose of DRM.

    As for 'Conroe', the operating system is still in control. No DRM OS
    support, no DRM content.

    I use 'Napster' to 'rent' music; unlimited play of unlimited numbers of
    tunes offline on up to three computers as long as I pay US $10 per month (
    that works out to be about the same as the cost of buying 8 music CDs over a
    year.) I have 8500 tunes on two computers. That seems like a good
    solution, especially when combined with direct distribution by performing
    artists through the Internet. The cost of 8500 tunes on original CDs would
    be about US $12000.

    Phil Weldon

    http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery...sted-platform-module&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc07a

    Phil Weldon, Jul 10, 2006

  3. foreign steel

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Jul 10, 2006
  4. foreign steel

    virtualize Guest

    What ? Conroe ? How about the OLD pentium D and the 945 chipset ?

    Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips
    Friday 27 May 2005 - 11:02

    http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915

    Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling
    copyright through the motherboard has moved a step closer with Intel
    Corp. now embedding digital rights management within in its latest
    dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945 chipset.

    Officially launched worldwide on the May 26, the new offerings come
    DRM-enabled and will, at least in theory, allow copyright holders to
    prevent unauthorized copying and distribution of copyrighted
    materials from the motherboard rather than through the operating
    system as is currently the case.

    While Intel steered clear of mentioning the new DRM technology at
    its Australian launch of the new products, Intel's Australian
    technical manager Graham Tucker publicly confirmed
    Microsoft-flavored DRM technology will be a feature of Pentium D and
    945.

    "[The] 945g [chipset] supports DRM, it helps implement Microsoft's
    DRM ... but it supports DRM looking forward," Tucker said, adding
    the DRM technology would not be able to be applied retrospectively
    to media or files that did not interoperate with the new technology.

    However, Tucker ducked questions regarding technical details of how
    embedded DRM would work saying it was not in the interests of his
    company to spell out how the technology in the interests of
    security.

    The situation presents an interesting dilemma for IT security
    managers as they may now be beholden to hardware-embedded security
    over which they have little say, information or control.

    Conversely, Intel is heavily promoting what it calls "active
    management technology" (AMT) in the new chips as a major plus for
    system administrators and enterprise IT. Understood to be a
    sub-operating system residing in the chip's firmware, AMT will allow
    administrators to both monitor or control individual machines
    independent of an operating system.

    Additionally, AMT also features what Intel calls "IDE redirection"
    which will allow administrators to remotely enable, disable or
    format or configure individual drives and reload operating systems
    and software from remote locations, again independent of operating
    systems. Both AMT and IDE control are enabled by a new network
    interface controller.

    "We all know our [operating system] friends don't crash that often,
    but it does happen," Tucker said.

    Intel's reticence to speak publicly about what lies under the hood
    of its latest firmware technology has also prompted calls to come
    clean from IT security experts, including Queensland University of
    Technology's assistant dean for strategy and innovation, IT faculty,
    Bill Caelli.

    "It's a dual use technology. It's got uses and misuses. Intel has to
    answer what guarantees it is prepared to give that home users are
    safe from hackers. Not maybes, guarantees".

    Caelli said it was "critical Intel comes clean" about how the
    current DRM technology is embedded into the new CPU and chipset
    offering.

    Microsoft was unavailable for comment at press time.

    virtualize, Jul 12, 2006
  5. foreign steel

    ElJerid Guest

    The world is waiting for Conroe...

    ElJerid, Jul 16, 2006
  6. foreign steel

    pacify Guest

    Oh yes, and... they'll get it. Notice how Conroe and all that
    extra circuitry is soooo much faster, and soooo much cheaper ?

    Bite down hard on that hook, fanboy.

    pacify, Jul 19, 2006