question about ethernet sbus cards:

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Claus Dragon, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Claus Dragon

    Claus Dragon Guest

    hello,

    there is something i wanted to ask. sun offers a wide variety of
    ethernet sbus cards, some of which are listed below "scsi" devices in
    the components handbook:

    # SCSI/Ethernet (SBE/S)
    # Fast SCSI/Ethernet (FSBE/S)
    # Differential SCSI/Ethernet (DSBE/S)

    and some others which are listed below (tada) ethernet in the
    components handbook:

    * Ethernet Controller
    * Quad Ethernet Controller (SQEC/S)
    * SunFastEthernet 1.0
    * SunFastEthernet 2.0 / 2.1
    * Sun Quad FastEthernet 1.0 (SQFE/S)
    * Sun Quad FastEthernet 2.0 (SQFE/S)
    * Gigabit Ethernet 1.0 (GBE/S)
    * Gigabit Ethernet 2.0/3.0 (GBE/S)

    my two questions are:

    1. are the combined cards (the ones below scsi) usable as well as the
    "real" ethernet sbus cards (apart from different speeds)?

    2. how can i find out which of those cards are not supported by lets
    say solaris 8 or 9 anymore? is OS-support an issue for older cards in
    general?

    thanks for your time,
    claus

    Claus Dragon, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Claus Dragon

    Axel Neumann Guest

    Hi,

    Both versions are usable for networking. The ones with SCSI help to save
    slots.

    For Solaris support look here:
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Software/

    HTH,

    Axel Neumann

    Axel Neumann, Sep 6, 2003

  3. Claus Dragon

    Claus Dragon Guest

    While forming in a straight line, "Axel Neumann"

    thanks for the information, axel :)

    Claus Dragon, Sep 6, 2003