    now have a PIII 450Ghz and would like to upgrade if possible. I
    understand that it needs a Slot 1 CPU. Are there any other limitations,
    like BUS speed?

    Walter, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Walter

    Ghostrider Guest

    The limitation is going to be the voltage controller. Visit the SuperMicro
    website, specifically,

    www.supermicro.com/TECHSUPPORT/FAQs/Processor.htm#Question 3

    The voltage controller will determine whether or not a Coppermine P3 CPU
    can be installed. If not, then the limit is a P3-Katmai 600 MHz..

    And, BTW, check PriceWatch for new Slot1 CPU's are still available and
    eBay for old ones.

    Ghostrider, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Walter

    Walter Guest

    In 3FCE3BB1.3137D785@fitron.142,
    Thanks, I'll follow through.

    Walter, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Walter

    JD Ross Guest

    I am running Pentium III 800MHz 750 MB RAM with no problem.

    JD Ross, Dec 14, 2003
  5. I am running a Pentium III 1GHz without any problems. (CPU is Slot 1
    Coppermine). I believe this is the fastest CPU that can be installed.

    --Brian K. White

    Brian K. White, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Walter

    Walter Guest

    In K4aDb.22144$,
    Thanks, Brian. Can you tell me where you purchased it?

    Walter, Dec 15, 2003
  7. I got it at Allstar Microelectronics in the fall of 2001. I do not believe
    that Slot 1 Pentium III CPUs are being sold any more. Due to some
    compatibility problems with certain motherboards, 1 GHz Slot 1 CPUS were
    only sold separately for a short period of time. (I do not know the true
    story on this, I just know that Intel only "certified" the CPU wit a small
    number of motherboards.) You can still find them but they are very
    difficult to locate. I think the Intel part number is BX80526... (I do not
    remember what the remainder of the par number is.) I paid about $225 for it
    two years ago. Since the Slot 1 CPU technology died, I would expect to pay
    about that much or more today.

    --Brian K. White

    Brian K. White, Dec 16, 2003
  8. Walter

    Walter Guest

    In 3dwDb.1762$,
    Thanks, Brian. I'll do a search

    Walter, Dec 16, 2003
  9. Walter

    Walter Guest

    In 3dwDb.1762$,

    Brian,

    Did you have to change any settings on the motherboard? I found one on ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. Thanks for your help.

    Walter, Dec 24, 2003
  10. If I recall correctly, the CPU/bus multiplier jumpers on the motherboard are ignored by the BIOS since the CPU is "multiplier locked" by Intel. You should just be able to remove the old CPU and insert the new one and it will report and run at 1GHz even if the jumpers for old CPU were set for 450 MHz. In fact, I am not even certain that there is a jumper combination for 1000 MHz.
    In 3dwDb.1762$,

    Brian,

    Did you have to change any settings on the motherboard? I found one on ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. Thanks for your help.

    --?

    Walter B
    _______

    Brian K. White, Dec 24, 2003
  11. Walter

    Walter Guest

    Thanks, that's what I thought, but confirmation is always nice.

    Walter, Dec 24, 2003
  12. Walter,

    For what it's worth, Just installed (2) 1.1Ghz PIII socket 370's with
    Powerleap's PL-iP3/T adapter in my P6DGU. It's a cheaper way to go since I
    have about $120 invested in each cpu/adapter setup.

    Steve L.

    Steven M. Lindahl, Jan 8, 2004
  13. Walter

    Walter Guest

    In ,
    Thanks, Steve. The 1GHz PIII I installed is working fine.

    Walter, Jan 12, 2004