Question about Presario 7000US

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Anon, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. Anon

    Anon Guest

    I just received a Presario 7000US from my sister and it appears that it is
    working basically ok. There are numerous errors in the Windows ME operating
    system and I have decided to simply install XP professional from scratch
    instead of trying to repair the old OS.

    It arrived with one 128MB stick of memory and I have since installed another
    stick of 256MB so now I have a 384MB total. The system (both bios and OS)
    seems to recognize this correctly.

    Unfortunately, it only boots now in 'safe' mode with this corrupted OS. If I
    let it boot in regular mode, the mouse becomes non functional so I can only
    boot it up in safe mode.

    What are the steps/sequences necessary (Fdisk, format??) to completely start
    from scratch and install XP pro? What type of file system is recommended to
    install with XP pro?

    Any other complications I should know about before I start to undertake this
    job?

    Also, the system does not have a restart switch built into the case. Can the
    motherboard accommodate a restart switch?? --Greg--

    Anon, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Anon

    HH Guest

    HH, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Anon

    HH Guest

    With your 80GB HD, I'd definitely go NTFS for the file system. Just get a
    DOS boot floppy with FDISK and run it, setting up one primary active
    partition, then boot with your XP install CD and go from there. XP drivers
    for the 7000US can be found here:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=94354&lang=en&cc=us&os=228

    Oh each DIMM slot can handle up to a 256MB Single Density DIMM, for a max
    RAM of 768MB. I'd recommend 512MB as a minimum for XP.

    HH

    HH, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Anon

    Anon Guest

    Thanks for the response, How can I add a reset switch to the computer? I
    know that I can add it to the case, bit can the motherboard accommodate a
    push button reset switch?

    Also, how and where can I get a dos boot floppy? --Greg--

    Anon, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Anon

    HH Guest

    HH, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Anon

    HH Guest

    HH, Dec 3, 2004
  7. Anon

    Anon Guest

    You have been very helpful. I was able to install a hardware pushbutton
    switch and mount wires to the front panel connector. There were two pins
    that said RST, I tried it and it worked fine.

    Thanks again for the help. Now if I only knew where to get my hands on a
    full install copy of XP Pro cheap!! --Greg--

    Anon, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Anon

    HH Guest

    Is Pro mandatory? XP Home suffices for 90% of all non-commercial users. You
    can get XP Home OEM full installs from several places for $99. Pro is $50
    more.
    HH

    HH, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Anon

    Anon Guest

    What's the difference between home and pro editions? --Greg--

    Anon, Dec 5, 2004
  10. Anon

    Gale Ann Guest

    50 dollars ;-)

    Gale Ann, Dec 6, 2004
  11. Anon

    HH Guest

    Real helpful answer there. Actually there are some differences other than
    price, mainly in the areas of network security and operations. However,
    personally, I've found XP Home to fill all my needs and have never had the
    urge topay more for Pro. As I noted, Home is perfectly satisfactory for the
    vast majority of home users. Some people have aparanoia about it and think
    XP Pro is needed when in truth it is not for most of us.
    HH

    HH, Dec 7, 2004