question about type 6 USB keyboard

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Claus Dragon, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Claus Dragon

    Claus Dragon Guest

    hello,

    as i am really astonished by the speed and quality of the answers i
    get here, i do absolutely not hesitate to ask another one :)

    i have saved another thread about sun keyboards. i always wanted to
    have a sun keyboard since i had that unix class. typing on them was
    soo comfortable, compared to that HP ps/2 keyboard i have at the
    moment.
    the thread tells me that its no problem to use a sun usb keyboard on a
    normal pc. but there is one question left which i have not found an
    answer:

    does the type 6 keyboard also contain an exit where mice can be
    attached?

    http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hw/peripherals/InputDevices.html

    does not really say anything about that.

    if yes, is it possible to use a type 5 optical mouse together with
    that keyboard? i love those mice...

    TIA!

    Claus Dragon, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Claus Dragon

    Claus Dragon Guest

    While forming in a straight line, Kent Wormsdorf
    hello kent,

    thanks for the information. where did you get this piece of info from?
    personal experience or is there some technical data available
    somewhere on the sun site(s)? i was really wondering because i could
    not find anything.

    Claus Dragon, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Hi Claus

    It's personal experience, because I own a Sun Blade 100 Workstation with a
    type 6 keyboard and mouse.

    The type USB 6 mouse can be used on a PC, but I have never tried the
    keyboard on a PC. (I don't own a PC with USB today. :) )

    Kent Wormsdorf

    PS. I normaly use SunSolve: http://sunsolve.sun.com when getting technical
    information regarding Sun Hardware.
    --
    PS. (Sorry, only in Danish.)

    Er der nogen der mangler en mand med lidt viden om Sun HW og SW,
    så må I gerne sende mig en E-mail.
    Jeg er uddannet datamatiker og har senest arbejdet som teknisk presale konsulent.

    Kent Wormsdorf, Jun 24, 2003
  4. Claus Dragon

    Greg Andrews Guest

    No, the keyboard would need to have a USB hub inside it, and
    that would increase the cost too much.
    Only if you have an adb-to-usb adapter that makes the type 5
    mouse look like a USB mouse. I'm not aware of any devices
    like that, but perhaps someone makes it.

    -Greg

    Greg Andrews, Jun 24, 2003
  5. Claus Dragon

    Claus Dragon Guest

    thanks for the information.

    Claus Dragon, Jun 24, 2003
  6. Can't be too bad. I have a few USB keyboard that have such a thing.
    But the Sun Type-6 USB keyboard (typing on it right now) does not.
    I assume you mean Sun type-5 to USB adapter, they aren't Apple Desktop Bus
    devices :) Its not the wiring that matters, but you need a protocol adaptor.
    Active electronics, probably a microcontroller inside..

    Ultraspec makes such an adaptor box. Might be a touch pricey at $175
    though.. http://www.ultraspec.com/pcatalog.asp?pID=5188
    Thats always the problem. So few get made, so they have to mark them
    up in cost to cover expenses developing and making them. Only in
    volume do things like that get cheaper.

    Doug McIntyre, Jun 24, 2003
  7. Claus Dragon

    Claus Dragon Guest

    hm, just 175 u$ to attach a 10 year old keyboard to any USB slot....
    sorry, that is something i cannot afford :(

    well, i will get a sole type 6 keyboard and use my blegh microsoft
    basic mouse :)

    Claus Dragon, Jun 24, 2003
  8. Claus Dragon

    J Green Guest

    The keyboard does work on a PC. I use a spare Sunblade 100 mouse
    and keyboard on a PC (W2K)- only works when Windows boots, does
    not work with my BIOS (maybe a newer BIOS will work). The
    diamond <> key next to ALT acts as the Windows Start key correctly.
    I still prefer my SB100 over the PC even if it has a Sun Keyboard
    (although this makes it slightly more palatable when I am forced to!).
    J.

    J Green, Jun 24, 2003
  9. Claus Dragon

    Ed Hall Guest

    Hi,
    You could get a little 2 port USB hub and plug the sun USB keyboard and
    mouse into that, then connect that to the PC. Doesn't your PC have more than
    one USB connector? If so, just plug the keyboard and mouse into those.
    Regards,
    Ed Hall

    Ed Hall, Jun 24, 2003
  10. Claus Dragon

    Claus Dragon Guest

    the thing is i wanted to use the optical mouse (type 4(?)) and an usb
    (type 6) keyboard. now, i would need to buy a new mouse as well...

    and my pc only has two usb connectors. its a p1 mmx-200 :)

    Claus Dragon, Jun 24, 2003
  11. Claus Dragon

    ultrasparc3 Guest

    the type 5 mouse is not an adb device, it is almost normal serial.

    ultrasparc3, Jun 26, 2003