1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

QUESTION: Amperage requirements for CDROM drives

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by BD, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. BD

    BD Guest

    Hi, all...

    I recently decided to 'externalize' my DVD reader and DVD writer, by
    using little USB converters. They seem to work fine, and were

    Problem is, one of the transformers which came with one of them causes
    a lot of EM interference with my PC speakers. I hear a rather loud hum
    when it's all connected up. Kind of distressing. The other one seems to
    cause no adverse effects.

    I'm wondering if putting an IDE power splitter off the 'good'
    transformer and connecting both drives to it will work. I know that the
    rated amperage of the transformer is only slightly higher than the
    rated draw of one drive, so I would not expect them _both_ to work at
    the same time. But if I only ran one at once, I wonder if that would

    Or to put it another way: does a CD/DVD drive draw any amperage when
    it's not actually spun up and working...?

    I guess the best route would be to deal with the 'faulty' transformer -
    get a replacement or something... But, this might serve as a stopgap,
    if there's no risk of damage or brownouts.


    BD, Oct 25, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. BD

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Hum? That is strange. Modern PSUs use HF transformers they operate
    at >= 50kHz, i.e. inaudible. Maybe you just have an old-fashioned
    ground loop that has nothing to do with the PSU? Or did you indeed get
    a PSU based on outdated 50/60Hz tranfsormer technology?

    If it is a modern swithcing PSU and hums, then it is badly broken and
    should not be used for anything.
    Not a good idea. On start-up both drives will draw power, spinning up
    DVDs in them. That should not kill the PSU but may cause the drives not
    to start propperly. Also DVD drives are power-hogs.

    Arno Wagner, Oct 25, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. BD

    BD Guest

    If it is a modern swithcing PSU and hums,

    To be clear - it's not a PSU per se - it's a small black 'brick'
    (1"x3"x6") which sits between the AC outlet and the drive. Same as
    you'd get with most AC adapters.

    And, to be clear, it's not the adapter which hums. When I plug it in,
    my PC sound system hums. Which tells me there's some nasty interference
    going on somewhere.

    Anyway. Yeah, I guess it's not the best idea. I'll see if I can
    exchange the thing.
    BD, Oct 25, 2005
  4. BD

    Arno Wagner Guest

    That is what I meant. That is also a PSU (Power Supply Unit).
    A "transformer" is an heavy object, mostly consiting of iron.
    A PSU is the generic term for something that gives power.
    Agreed. There is possibly an isolation problem with this PSU.
    I would advise you to stop using it immediately, it may be dangerous,
    possibly lethal, if used unconnected to firmly grounded equipment.

    The power-converter can usually not hum, since it operates at
    inaudibly high frequencies.
    Do so. If you cannot, discard it anyways, see above.

    Arno Wagner, Oct 26, 2005
  5. BD

    BD Guest

    I would advise you to stop using it immediately.

    Sage advice. Turns out the thing doesn't work as well as I'd hoped
    anyway - half my burns get verification errors. Oh well. I'll jam the
    burner back in the machine and (assuming my burns are back to normal),
    just get rid of the thing. ;)
    BD, Oct 26, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.