[Question] Asus A8N-SLI Single Video card application question

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PB, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. PB

    PB Guest

    Hello all.

    I am considering the following main/motherboard:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131524

    The Asus A8N-SLI ATX. Non-Deluxe or Premium variety.

    I have read about and know to not expect much from the chipset fan and
    am thus considering the Zalman Northbridge cooler:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118214

    Now the question.

    Is there a mandatory order when populating the PCI slots for the video
    card? I have an X800GTO2 with the Arctic Cooling device:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186136

    I am concerned/wondering if the Zalman will interfere with the PCI-e
    slot closest to the processor for the cooler on the video card.

    So, again, is either of the SLI slots OK for a single video card
    application?

    Thanks,

    PB

    PB, Apr 7, 2006

  2. PB

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    Why not download the manual from support.asus.com?

    I have a vanilla A8N-SLI. I have only used my single graphics card in the
    PCI-E 16X slot nearest the CPU (aka the blue slot), but the manual suggests
    that either is usable with a single card. (If you were running in SLI mode -
    not possible with an ATI card on an nVidia mainboard, of course - the
    monitor is supposed to be connected to the card in the blue slot.)

    My graphics card is an EVGA 256 MB 7800GTX ACS3, and it's quite long. I
    believe that it would interfere with a tall chipset cooler if the card was
    in *either* slot.

    Also, even if your card clears the Zalman chipset cooler, you may need to
    arrange additional airflow over the heatsink. I have read postings that
    suggest that there may not be sufficient cooling without it.

    My choice was to replace the fan with the passive cooler from the A8N-SLI
    Premium:

    http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2535&catid=136

    (Price is $15. Surface shipping was $5.) It was a fairly easy replacement,
    strictly a snap-in (no modifications to the board or the cooler), but it
    must be done with the mainboard out of the case. Its radiator is positioned
    to receive airflow from the CPU fan. If you decide to try this approach,
    make sure you have lots of heatsink compound on hand (probably a dielectric
    variety, rather than Arctic Silver). The radiator for the heatpipe replaces
    the cooler for the VRMs, and they came from Asus liberally slathered with
    heatsink goop. (The replacement heatpipe came with thermal tape applied, but
    I didn't use it.)

    Bob Knowlden, Apr 7, 2006

  3. PB

    PB Guest

    Good points.

    Thanks for the prompt response.

    PB

    PB, Apr 7, 2006
  4. PB

    ned ludd Guest

    The downloadable manual differs from the printed version that came with my
    board, which says that in single card mode the blue slot works as a x16
    graphics slot and the black as x1. Tried my graphics card in the black slot,
    no video, no post.

    ned ludd, Apr 7, 2006