Question: Do I need a keyboard driver - IBM Thinkpad 600x/Win 98

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Lidya, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Lidya

    Lidya Guest

    I just bought an inexpensive keyboard (Memorex TS1 100) to use for my
    IBM Thinkpad 600X. However, when I plug it into the back of my
    laptop, it doesn't respond.

    Do I need some sort of driver, and if so, which one?

    They keyboard says System Requirements:

    1) IBM PC or compatible
    2) Compatible with Windows 95/98/2000/NT/4.0/ME/XP (I have win 98)
    PS/2 Port (does the Thinkpad 600X have this??)

    If this is the wrong keyboard, does anyone have suggestions about
    which one will work with my laptop?

    Thanks!

    Lidy

    Lidya, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Lidya

    Joe McArthur Guest

    (Lidya) wrote in
    Nope. You just need a keyboard 'Y' adapter to interface between the PS/2
    port on the back of your laptop and your external keyboard. I bought mine
    at a Best Buy store, but I'm sure they are readily available at other
    places as well.

    Joe

    Joe McArthur, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Lidya

    Mike Guest

    I have tried a generic "Y" adapter that I bought for $1.99 but it did
    not work. The correct part is the PS/2 IBM part #54G0441
    Keyboard/Mouse Splitter. It retails for an unbelievable $54, though
    if you do a search on the Internet for the part # you can find it as
    low as $35 or so.

    There may be some generic Y adapters that will work, but the one I
    tried did not.

    --Mike

    Mike, Jul 28, 2003