Question: Inspiron 9400 (CPU, Display, LCD question, upgradeability...)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ammar, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. Ammar

    Ammar Guest

    Hi!
    Am short on budget so I need help on CPU.

    - Core Duo Processor T2400 (1.83 GHz) sounds very good, but costs 200 Euro
    (~$250) more then Intel ® CoreT Solo Processor T1300 (1.66 GHz)

    How much difference is there really in 2D and 3D applications (occasional
    rendering).
    Can I buy a Solo proc and then replace it with a better one in a year or
    so - or are the CPUs not upgradeable? Which one is a better value for money?

    - 256MB NVIDIA® GeForceT 7800 Go graphics card, PCI-Express x16 costs 330
    EUro (~$400) more then Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 128MB
    shared system memory. I'm aware I shoudl forget about the integrated card,
    but can I buy the integrated card and upgrade it myself?

    The only thing I've replaced on my Inspiron (the last one) was the memory.
    Is replacign CPU & graphics adapter also that easy?

    What is the high-res display on a 9400 (WUXGA (1920 x 1200)) like? I had a
    high-res inspiron before so I have an idea about pros and cons, but what
    about the quality, colors, angles... I like the Vaio displays very much, are
    the new ones from Dell OK, too?

    Tia

    P.S. Application mostly Autocad (2D), ando also some 3D Max (3D)

    Ammar, Mar 3, 2006

  2. Ammar

    User N Guest

    Ouch. The difference in US retail prices between a T1300 and T2400 is
    around $100.
    The second core in the T2400 and the higher clock rate would substantially
    increase performance with some applications. You could google for some
    benchmarks and/or inquire within forums for the applications you use to get
    a better idea.
    I believe Core Solo and Core Duo use the same socket, and rumors are that
    Merom will too. However there are other issues to consider such as cooling
    requirements and physical package dimensions and BIOS support.
    Here is a system documentation page on the video card:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins9400/en/sm/video.htm#wp1019155

    Looks like it is plug-in but also looks as though there is an integrated heat
    pipe cooler which might be specifically designed to fit the 9400's internal
    layout.
    I don't think I've come across any reviews for the 9400 yet, but then I haven't
    been looking. FWIW... http://www.notebookreview.com/

    User N, Mar 5, 2006