    I am having a debate at work regarding the benefit of upgrading our Norton
    antivirus. We own the licenses and keep the definitions up to date. Provided
    our definitions are current, what do we loose by not upgrading?

    Keith S., Feb 21, 2006

  2. Keith S.

    S.Lewis Guest

    Future definitions (protection) for future malicious content not yet known
    or seen - by Norton or any other AV program. If you Norton AV engine doesn't
    know what it is or how to identify it, it can't kill it or protect your
    machine.

    How many systems in your business install base?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Keith S.

    S.Lewis Guest

    Sorry, I misunderstood your scenario. Perhaps one of the risks would be to
    the Norton AV engine itself. Upgrades to the program probably close known
    security holes and weaknesses, among other things....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 21, 2006
  4. Keith S.

    george Guest

    Usually newer AV software addresses new TYPES of threats, viruses, Trojans,
    data miners, adware, and other malware. When someone comes up with the next
    new category of threat, you won't be protected no matter how recent your
    signatures are simply because it will act in a manner that the scan engine
    isn't designed to detect. Also, some AV software itself does opens up some
    security threats...if you are using something that has been around awhile
    you can pretty much assume that someone has taken the time to write some
    sort of malware that exploits them. I wouldn't space out updating the
    actual AV application any more than every other year.

    george, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Keith S.

    Keith S. Guest

    thank you all - my though was trojans and spyware only would be covered

    Keith S., Feb 22, 2006