Question on 100% CPU Usage with 3200+ Socket 754

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Calculated, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. Calculated

    Calculated Guest

    Maybe this a basic question for you guys but I will ask.

    I have an AMD 64 3200+ with a K8N Neo 754 mobo, x800 pro and 1gig of DDR
    400. Nothing overclocked yet.

    I have noticed lately (since getting a G15 keyboard) that even with
    basic 3d apps that the cpu usage is constantly running at 100%. This
    happens with the little 3d picture that comes with ATI tool and even
    when playing Starcraft. I would have thought that neither of these would
    have stressed the processor. (F.E.A.R or Oblivion maybe a different
    story.) This happens even when watching the cut scenes in Starcraft
    which shouldn't stress the video card or the processor, as Starcraft is
    locked at 640 by 480.

    I have checked the performance monitor on the G15 against the task
    manager and they match.

    Any suggestions on why this maybe and what I could do fix it? Thanks.

    Calculated, Apr 5, 2006

  2. Calculated

    Paul Guest

    Can you disable the Logitech performance monitor feature ?

    Or, alternately, just completely uninstall the Logitech crufty software ?

    It could be some part of the Logitech software is running at 100%,
    but at low priority. In other words, if a higher priority task is
    running, that higher priority task will still get the cycles it
    needs. (So your games won't slow down.) But running the CPU at 100%,
    means you won't get the savings on your power bill, as Cool N' Quiet
    cannot turn down the CPU power level, unless the percent utilization
    drops below 100%. In other words, the Logitech software might
    be driving up the average power requirements for your system.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 5, 2006