Question on Compatibility P4B533-E and Intel 2.4A Prescott 90nm 533FSB

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Quixotic1, May 14, 2006.

  1. Quixotic1

    Quixotic1 Guest

    Hi all:

    I'm hoping to boost the speed of my system a bit. I have an ASUS
    P4B533-E running with a 1.8 GHz chip. I have bad experiences with OC,
    so would prefer not to do that with this chip, though I've heard it can
    be easily OC'd.

    I'm curious whether the available Intel 2.4A Prescott 90nm 533FSB chip,
    Model BX80546PE2400E with 1MB of L2 is compatible with the motherboard.
    NewEgg has a few, at a price I'd be happy to pay for a fair increase in
    speed. They don't seem to have any of the 2.53 chips available, and
    this is the only 2.4GHz 533FSB chip they sell.

    So, what are my chances?

    Thanks in advance, I look forward to your replies...

    Dave
    Quixotic1

    Quixotic1, May 14, 2006

  2. Quixotic1

    Ronald Cole Guest

    Teach a man to fish... Go to asus.com and click on "support". Then,
    on the blue bar, hover over "support" and select "cpu support".
    Finally, enter your motherboard model and examine the results.

    Ronald Cole, May 14, 2006

  3. Quixotic1

    Quixotic1 Guest

    Very cool tool! Thank you. I did spend quite a bit of time on the
    website and looking through the manual for the answer before posting,
    but did not come across this tool.

    It seems this particular chip won't fly, though faster chips will...
    Seems the limiting factor is the cache size. If anyone out there has
    the stated chip running on a P4B533, I'd be interested in knowing the
    possibilities.

    Again, thanks for the great answer, and the link to the tool,

    Dave
    Quixotic1

    Quixotic1, May 14, 2006
  4. Quixotic1

    Paul Guest

    You can teach a man to fish, but he doesn't know what he
    just caught :)

    These are Northwood 0.13 micron processors. That is what
    the list is telling me. A Prescott 90nm processor, whether a
    P4 Prescott or a Celeron-D, will not work. If you insert a
    90nm processor, the computer screen will be blank and there
    will be no beeps. There should be no damage to the (useless)
    processor.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusuppo...?type=1&name=P4B533-E&SLanguage=en-us&cache=1

    You have to shop for a 0.13u processor, and they are
    getting harder to find.

    If you run out of places to look, there is a 2.8GHz/FSB533/512KB
    cache processor here for $199 (upper right corner). You
    should be able to find one for cheaper elsewhere.

    http://www.powerleap.com/Processors.jsp

    They are about $100 here. But be very careful to verify
    you are getting 2.8GHz/FSB533/512KB, because I see they
    tried to sneak some 1MB cache ones into the list, that you
    cannot use.

    http://www.pricewatch.com/cpu/4846-1.htm

    If you want to use Prescott processors, you need a "Prescott
    Ready" motherboard, and those came out just after your
    P4B533-E.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 14, 2006
  5. So, what are my chances?

    I had that board. The fastest cpu for it was the
    3.06GHz/533MHz/512kB hyperthreading northwood.
    You'll have to flash the latest bios before replacing the cpu.
    On my board HT was running without IAA.

    Friedrich Wuelfing, May 14, 2006
  6. Quixotic1

    Ronald Cole Guest

    Yeah, I looked at Newegg and drilled down on Socket 478 processors and
    didn't see any Northwoods available. If he had the 1.02 PCB revision,
    then I'd suggest he attempt to find the 3.06 HT processor. That's
    what I have in my P4T533 and three and a half years later it's still a
    decent performer. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't bother.

    Ronald Cole, May 14, 2006
  7. Quixotic1

    NBK Guest

    Try this for a 3.06GHz 533FSB Processor
    http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=121

    NBK, May 14, 2006
  8. Quixotic1

    Quixotic1 Guest

    To All:

    I'd like to thank everyone for all the great replies here. You've all
    helped me out quite a bit.

    Though I am not a novice with building computers, I have been out of
    the 'loop' for about 4 years due to severe disability. So, I haven't
    been able to keep up on all of the recent technologies and the changes
    to those technologies that I used to know so well. Things move so fast
    in this industry, a four year blink becomes a huge lapse in
    knowledge...

    So, again, thanks all for helping me go the right direction again...

    Dave
    Quixotic1

    Quixotic1, May 15, 2006