    potential speed of the memory with this mobo?

    Any comments would be appreciated.

    Andy Euroman

    euroman812, Aug 23, 2006

  2. euroman812

    Betty Monroe Guest

    Normally you can user memory that is faster than required.

    But I'd reconsider you choices and lean strongly towards a system based
    on the new Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and an Intel chipset that supports this.

    Betty Monroe, Aug 24, 2006

  3. euroman812

    Paul Guest

    CPU support for the P5NSLI can be found on the CPU support
    page. This is the list for the P5NSLI.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusuppo...px?type=1&name=P5NSLI&SLanguage=en-us&cache=1

    These are all the motherboards that support Core2 Duo. You
    have to be particularly careful with some of the P5LD2 based
    boards, as only particular revisions (the latest boards)
    support Core2 Duo, and not earlier revisions. Shopping
    by revision is all but impossible - I had to open a box
    at my local computer store, to be sure I was getting the
    revision I wanted, and this is not an easy service to
    get from an e-tailer.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusuppo....40GHz,1066FSB,L2:4MB,rev.B2)&SLanguage=en-us

    Normally I would advise visiting the Asus hosted forums, to
    see if anyone has early feedback on RAM compatibility. There
    is almost nothing posted here:

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5NSLI&SLanguage=en-us

    The problem with the latest DDR2 motherboards, is sometimes
    you install DDR2-800 memory and the board doesn't start. It
    may be possible to use a single stick of a slower RAM, long
    enough to enter the BIOS and try some experiments. Then
    install a stick of DDR2-800 with the slower RAM and see if
    it will start. Or, try a single stick of the DDR2-800, instead
    of trying dual channel, and see if it starts. It would seem
    in many cases, that the BIOS needs a lot more work in the
    memory area, so don't be surprised if the motherboard gives
    you a hard time.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 25, 2006