    pref pane shows the menu bar only on the left-hand (built-in) display,
    which is where I want it. The menu bar on the display that does not
    have focus fades, but is still visible. No, mirroring is not on.

    Davoud, Jan 1, 2014

  2. Davoud

    Ted Lee Guest

    What version of the OS are you using? I believe that with Mavericks
    when you have more than one display (not mirrored) it puts a menu bar on
    both (all?) displays. At least that's what happens when I use Apple TV
    to give me a second display. The one you are not using (for some
    definition of not using) is dimmed.

    Ted Lee, Jan 1, 2014

  3. Davoud

    Davoud Guest

    Davoud:
    Ted Lee:
    Ah, so. Thank you. Yes, it's Mavericks. It's my wife's iMac, and I
    wasn't all that familiar with its behavior under Mavericks with the old
    external display. Now I have remembered a recent photo of the old
    display in use and I see that the menu bar was present on both
    displays. My mistake. Interesting, though that the displays pref pane
    still offers the opportunity to put the menu bar on either display,
    even though that function doesn't do anything.

    Davoud, Jan 1, 2014
  4. Davoud

    Earl Grey Guest

    And your question is....

    Earl Grey, Jan 2, 2014
  5. Davoud

    Tim Streater Guest

    You on Mavericks? I haven't tried this, but doesn't it allow a menu bar
    on each screen these days?

    Tim Streater, Jan 2, 2014
  6. Davoud

    Lewis Guest

    Yes it does.

    Lewis, Jan 2, 2014
  7. Davoud

    David Empson Guest

    The screen with the menu bar on it in System Preferences > Displays is
    the primary display, which is the default display after startup from the
    point the Login Window is shown, and will also be the default display
    for all user accounts at login. (It seems that the shutdown spinning
    activity indicator and initial startup Apple logo and activity indicator
    always go on the built-in display or some other nominal "first"
    display.)

    If you use System Preferences > Displays to move the menu bar to another
    display, the logical numbering of those two displays is swapped,
    changing the primary display to the one where you dragged the menu bar.
    Every window which was previously on either display will be swapped to
    appear on the other display. (If you have more than two displays,
    windows on further displays remain where they were.) The positional
    arrangement of the displays is not affected by dragging the menu bar.

    The menu bar being visible in a greyed out state on every display is a
    new feature in Mavericks. The greyed out state indicates that menu bar
    is not active, but if you click on anything which is on that display
    (menu bar, desktop background or a window), the active menu bar shifts
    to that display (without changing the primary display, and without
    shifting the dock to a different display).

    If you want to remove the menu bar from other displays you can change
    the multi-display behaviour to match earlier OS X versions, by going
    into System Preferences > Mission Control and unchecking "Displays have
    separate Spaces", then logging out and logging in again.

    This setting affects other aspects of how multiple displays are handled
    in Mission Control and full screen mode.

    David Empson, Jan 3, 2014
  8. Davoud

    Davoud Guest

    Davoud:
    Tim Streater:
    From what I can see, Mavericks /requires/ a menu bar on each screen. I
    had not been aware of that. This is my wife's iMac, and I do not use it
    or even see it very often.

    Davoud, Jan 3, 2014
  9. Davoud

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    And regarding the menu bar I'm one who likes using Menu Eclipse which
    hides the menu bar by darkening it out unless the cursor is over it.
    Why I like it I can't really explain other than the screen looks better
    without it heing constantly displayed.

    TaliesinSoft, Jan 3, 2014