    the newer Xeon like E5690 use a separate memory bus from the I/O bus, and
    the memory business is run at extremely high speeds. Does support for
    this new memory bus technology require a special motherboard?

    W, Jun 19, 2011

  2. W

    Ghostrider Guest

    Generally writing, CPU's are designed to work with specified chipsets
    and this means certain motherboards. For the Intel i7-990X, visit the
    Intel website. As indicated below,

    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52585&processor=i7-990X&spec-codes=SLBVZ

    this CPU was designed to work with the Intel X58 chipset. In addition,
    the the Intel i7-990X inserts into a LGA 1366 socket.

    GR

    Ghostrider, Jun 21, 2011

  3. W

    W Guest

    So looking at the Xeon E5690 - for example - this would not be plug
    compatible on motherboards that use the older Xeons that do not use
    Quickpath?

    Would anyone happen to know if Dell's Precision Workstations have any model
    that will work with an E5690 that use the X58 chipset?

    W, Jun 21, 2011
  4. W

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    QuickPath was Intel's answer to AMD's Hypertransport, which was their
    answer to the old front-side bus. Basically the shared bandwidth FSB was
    replaced by a point-to-point transport in both cases. QuickPath is the
    underlying bus that PCI-Express runs on top of in Intel systems, just
    like PCI-Express runs on top of Hypertransport in AMD systems.

    If the Xeon chip that you have uses a FSB interface, then it won't work
    with QuickPath.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 22, 2011
  5. Would that imply that boards for the 950 would be expected to accept the 990X
    and work? Curious, have such on hand.

    Bill Davidsen, Jun 25, 2011
  6. W

    Ghostrider Guest

    The answer is probably yes with the Intel X58 chipset and the LGA 1366
    socket. A bios update would also probably be needed. Check with the
    manufacturer of the motherboard for this requirement.

    GR

    Ghostrider, Jun 26, 2011