    of things to come or will it likely stablize?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Gary

    algae, Apr 17, 2005

  2. A few years ago I had a similar mobo, K7T266 Pro2-RU, that was very
    sensitive to mismatches in memory modules. I originally started off with a
    single generic 512MB module. About 3 months later I decided to add another
    generic 512MB module, not the same brand of memory chips on the card as the
    first module. Each memory module would work fine by itself. Using both
    modules together lead to nothing but problems, blue screens, spontaneous
    reboot, failure to boot, etc. The problem was not a defective memory
    module, but a mismatched pair of memory modules.

    I returned both sticks of RAM to my vendor, and he replaced them with two
    matched sticks of generic Samsung, which solved the problem.

    Homer J. Simpson, Apr 17, 2005

  3. algae

    algae Guest

    I see. Well both of mine are identical twins. Both my new 256 x 2 and the
    "new" 256 x 2 :(

    Gary

    algae, Apr 17, 2005
  4. algae

    Black_Sun Guest

    Dear algae, I shared the same problem
    with you for the last 2 days.

    I have an MSI K7t266 Pro2 with two dimms (the one TA, the other
    Elixir; ie. "generic") of 256 MB each (the 1st single sided, the 2nd
    double sided).
    They haven't cause me [b:6b9f604e5f]any
    problem[/b:6b9f604e5f] the last 3,5 years whatsoever.

    I decided two days ago to add more RAM to it, so I bought one dimm
    512 MB Kingston. -KVR266X64C25/512- (that's what they say (on
    Kingston site) that's suitable for my m/b).
    When I used it with my dimms: the same thing with [b:6b9f604e5f]Homer
    J. Simpson[/b:6b9f604e5f]!!!!!!
    While, when I used it alone, NO PROBLEM!!
    I decided to try another 512 ([b:6b9f604e5f]identical[/b:6b9f604e5f]
    to the 1st Kingston dimm) in conjunction with the 1st Kinsgton dimm
    (not with my old ones). SAME THING!!!
    I then went back to my vendor to swap one of the 512 dimms with two
    [b:6b9f604e5f]identical[/b:6b9f604e5f] 256 Kingston dimms:
    when I tried them with the other 512 dimm, SAME THING!!!
    When I tried them with one of my old 256 dimm, SAME THING!!!
    When I tried the new two 256 ones alone, NO PROBLEM!!!
    So I went back to my vendor, gave them all of the Kingston dimms,
    bought something else -not pc related hardware- and decided that
    there is no solution for it whatsoever.
    I'm just waiting till summer to buy a new CPU and m/b!!!
    (although wish that there were a solution to it).

    PS. I have flashed the m/b BIOS to 3.6.
    Also, every time, I tried every single combination of dimm/dimm slot,
    without resulting to any good!!!

    Black_Sun, May 11, 2005