Question on SATA ... IDE emulation mode vs. AHCI mode

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Barry Watzman, Nov 10, 2009.

  1. Ok, I have a Gigabyte GA-ex58-UDR3 motherboard, but actually I think
    that this question is pretty generic and would apply to almost any
    modern motherboard.

    I have a SATA hard drive, connected to a SATA port of the Intel ICH10R
    chipset [actually, I have two SATA hard drives, and two SATA optical
    drives]. The motherboard has a "Gigabyte" IDE/SATA controller on it to
    provide an IDE port (and additional SATA ports) but since I have no ide
    devices, that device is disabled entirely in the BIOS.

    Here is the question: The BIOS has two settings for the modes of the
    SATA ports (in the Intel ICH10R):

    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (choices are Disabled/Raid/AHCI; set to disabled)
    SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode (choice are native/legacy, set to native)

    And the system works fine. But it's using "IDE Emulation" to access the
    hard drive.

    So I set the SATA RAID/AHIC Mode to AHCI .... and the system won't boot.
    It crashes during bootup, which causes a loop of continuous resets.

    FWIW, I was pretty sure (certain, really) that when I installed this
    system (Windows XP SP3, by the way), I used an F6 floppy driver to setup
    the system.

    So the question: I'd really like the SATA ports operating in AHCI mode.
    How do I get there WITHOUT doing a total reinstall of Windows? I
    thought I had the necessary SATA driver installed (via the F6 driver I
    installed when I first configured the system), but apparently not. So,
    again: What do I do to convert the system from accessing the SATA hard
    drives via IDE emulation to accessing then in native SATA AHCI mode,
    again, without having to reinstall Windows.

    ???

    Barry Watzman, Nov 10, 2009

  2. Barry Watzman

    Joe Guest

    More than likely you will need to redo the drive. Either make an image
    with Ghost or Drive Image and then restore the drive after you switch to
    ACHI mode or reinstall everything. By changing the way the drive is
    written to and accessed you caused the problem. It would be the same if
    you had a RAID setup and moved the drive to a different machine that
    used a different RAID controller. Data is very sensitive.

    Joe, Nov 10, 2009

  3. Barry Watzman

    me/2 Guest

    On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 21:57:18 -0500, Barry Watzman

    :>Ok, I have a Gigabyte GA-ex58-UDR3 motherboard, but actually I think
    :>that this question is pretty generic and would apply to almost any
    :>modern motherboard.
    :>
[...]
    :>???

    I just went through that a few weeks ago. After spending a few hours
    following google links I find this one that worked for me.

    http://blog.mytwocents.it/?p=11

    Good luck,
    me/2

    me/2, Nov 10, 2009
  4. Barry Watzman

    tlviewer Guest

    Barry,

    By now you may have solved this problem. FWIW, if anyone else follows
    this thread...

    My experience is with an ep45-ud3r.
    You started with the Ich10r running in IDE mode. Once you booted into
    Win, any attempt to install the AHCI/Raid drivers from the included
    DVD will
    fail since the device is off in the Bios.

    The driver you want is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. To turn on
    the Raid/AHCI device on Ich10r and not crash,
    the other Mass Storage device can be used as a temporary crutch while
    you install drivers.
    So...
    turn off the machine (complete shutdown) and move the SATA cable for
    your HD over to the GSATA. Boot up, go into the
    Bios, navigate to the Advanced Bios. Turn on the AHCI in Ich10r (near
    top of menu). Then enable the on-board GSATA device (lower in the
    menu), but
    keep it running in IDE mode.

    Now when you startup Win, it will see the new Ich10r device and offer
    to set it up. Grab your DVD or get the latest drivers from the GA
    site.
    Once you install the Mass Storage driver, check inside the Device
    Manager to confirm success.

    Of course, you should now hard shutdown again and reverse your SATA
    cables back to the original configuration.

    To avoid looping restarts and get some feedback on any crashes, before
    you reverse the connections, do
    right click, My Computer->properties->Advanced->startup and shutdown-
    Now when a crash occurs with a BSOD, you can see what the msg is and
    if any driver is involved.

    tlviewer, Dec 21, 2009