    id 3. Any help would be apprecitated.

    Thanks,

    Terry

    Terry Butler, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Terry Butler

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    For the SS-20, yes, it should be SCSI ID 3, which is the lower
    of the two internal slots. (I'm presuming that you have the carriers
    for the 1" SCA disks to fit.)

    For the Ultra-1 and Ultra-2, the default boot disk is SCSI-ID 0.
    These also need 1" SCA drives. In the Ultra-1, IIRC, it is the bottom
    of the two slots. In the Ultra-2, I believe that it is the rear-most of
    the two slots.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Jul 17, 2005

  3. There is something with the SCSI-IDs being translated to device-IDs and
    SCSI-ID 3 ending up as device 0 and vice versa.

    So the SCSI drive with ID 0 ends up in the system as device 3, and so it
    should boot from device 3. Funny tho, that when I boot NetBSD on it, The
    NetBSD device ID is 0 again.

    Alex van Denzel, Jul 17, 2005
  4. Terry Butler

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    Agreed. The default boot device (set in the eeprom) of "disk"
    translates to SCSI-ID 3, and "disk3" translates to SCSI-ID 0.
    It *boots* from SCSI-ID 3, but SunOS 4.1.x displays it as "sd0?",
    and Solaris as "c0t0d0s?" ('?' depending on slice/partition).
    I don't know about NetBSD, but with OpenBSD, the first SCSI ID
    found (starting from SCSI-ID 0 and counting up until a disk is found)
    gets called "sd0", and the next (even if there are gaps) is called "sd1"
    and so on.

    If you're going to do RAID with disks on OpenBSD, you have to
    generate and compile a kernel to lock down the disk names, so they don't
    shift when a drive is pulled out and the system rebooted. Here is an
    example:

    # These entries find devices on all SCSI busses and assign
    # unit numers dynamically.
    #sd* at scsibus? target ? lun ? # SCSI disks
    #
    # Fixed SCSI IDs
    sd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun ? # SCSI disk drives
    sd1 at scsibus0 target 2 lun ? # SCSI disk drives
    sd2 at scsibus0 target 3 lun ? # SCSI disk drives
    sd3 at scsibus0 target 4 lun ? # SCSI disk drives
    sd4 at scsibus0 target 5 lun ? # SCSI disk drives
    sd5 at scsibus0 target 6 lun ? # SCSI disk drives
    sd6 at scsibus0 target 0 lun ? # SCSI disk drives

    The commented out "sd*" was for dynamic SCSI-ID allocation, which I had
    to turn off. The moving of SCSI-ID 0 to the sd6 position was because I
    wanted the boot drive to be one of those in a Multipak housing so I
    could swap them easily.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Jul 17, 2005