    I'm good with the RAM...3x256, but what is the best brand? I am guessing
    either Crucial or Kingston.

    I appreciate the help...thanks!

    Tim Brown, May 23, 2004

  2. Tim Brown

    Roy Coorne Guest

    Tim Brown wrote:
    Well, Crucial offer suitable SDRAM DIMMs for the P5A-B in their online
    shop - Kingston don't.

    Roy

    Roy Coorne, May 23, 2004

  3. Tim Brown

    Ixnei Guest

    I've used 2.2V K6-3 450 (onboard 256KB L2 cache) as well as 2.0V K6-2+ 500
    (onboard 128KB L2 cache) on P5A-Bs v1.04 and v1.05 (on v1.05, I had to
    bump Vcore up 0.1V to 2.1V for K6-2+), with GF2gts 32MB video card and
    256MB RAM under win2k, and it ran Quake3. I didn't play with
    overclocking, but it seems possible to run 120MHz bus at 4x or 4.5x with
    the right memory (and suitable PCI cards).

    --
    We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 13 years now, bombing their
    country on at least a weekly basis.

    Ixnei, May 23, 2004
  4. Tim Brown

    Tim Brown Guest

    I have a Geforce 2 MX 440 64meg in my newer system and thought that if I
    could get it towork with my old Pp5a-b then why not just get a new radeon
    for my newer rig?

    the problem is when i tried this vid card with the old system it locked up,
    but that was before i found bios and ali aladdin v agp updates. I am also
    going to update the p5a-b ram to at least 512 and the cpu to around 550.

    My GeForce II make is a maddog champion and it says my board needs AGP 2.0
    compliancy, but since the card does work in 2x I figured maybe it would work
    in my old mobo.

    If not I'll just get a 32 megger. I appreciate all of the input.

    Tim Brown, May 23, 2004
  5. Tim Brown

    Ixnei Guest

    How exactly does it lock up (at POST, during OS boot, during heavy CPU
    load)? It may be an issue with the 64MB memory size on the video card.
    I've heard this can be an issue with older AGP boards, not being able to
    support more than 32MB video card (forget exactly why). It might also be
    a power issue, where that board's AGP slot just can't handle the juice
    requirements (I had a P6L40 slot1 440LX motherboard that would lock/reboot
    randomly in the OS with a perfectly good GF1ddr 32MB card). It's worth a
    quick inspection of the capacitors on the board, particularly around the
    CPU and AGP slot, for signs of 'bulging' or 'leaky black oozing' caps...

    FYI, I flashed to the latest 1011 beta 005 bios on each board, used the
    chipset/AGP drivers from ASUS site, and only used 32MB video cards - but I
    also had success with a GF2mx (not a 400/440) 32MB card.

    Ixnei, May 23, 2004
  6. Tim Brown

    Tim Brown Guest

    The lockups...Computer would load up normally then would have random lockups
    either during gameplay or during reg windows app running. I am also
    thinking it might be a 64 meg issue although I have seen others post that
    they have successfully used geforce cards with that high megs.

    If it does turn out to be a 64 meg problem, then what would be the best 32
    meg card? Thanks...I didn't think I'd get any responses regarding such an
    old mobo, I appreciate it.

    Tim Brown, May 23, 2004
  7. Make sure AGP is running at no more than 1x. The ALi V was a bit
    critical in that regard. AGP power supply should already be adequate on
    an Asus board from that era.
    I don't know whether the P5A-B was ever affected by the bug causing slow
    operation with K6-x+ chips, IIRC this was an issue of newer chipset
    revisions.

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, May 24, 2004
  8. Tim Brown

    Tim Brown Guest

    Hmmm 1x would eliminate the video card I have becaue it backwards compatible
    to 2X only.

    In my P5A-B board description, it is stated that AGP 1.0 Compliance
    Interface Supports both 1x and 2x Speed Mode with Sidehand Address
    Capability

    Doesn't this mean that 2x should be managable? I do have the latest Aladdin
    V update from 2003 that were supposed to fix issues with nVidia cards.

    Thanks

    Tim Brown, May 24, 2004
  9. Tim Brown

    Phÿltêr Guest

    My wife's PC is a P5A-B Bios rev 1011.005 beta
    40 gig HD
    SB Live Value
    128MB of ram
    K6-2 500 (was a K6-3 400 but it died)
    Powergene GeForce2 MX200 32 mb running at AGP x 2 with a 32mb aperture
    Windows Millennium
    Really sucks at 3D Mark 2001, but "The Sims" runs well, Wife happy!

    Try and source a K6-2 550...

    Phÿltêr, May 25, 2004
  10. Tim Brown

    Pete Gray Guest

    A K6-2/550 will run just fine on this board.

    Pete Gray, May 26, 2004
  11. Tim Brown

    Tim Brown Guest

    I've heard a bunch of stuff about lowering the multiplier to increase FSB on
    the board. How would I go about doing that?

    Thanks...

    Tim Brown, May 26, 2004
  12. Tim Brown

    Phÿltêr Guest

    Download the PDF of the manual.
    It's all done with 2 groups of jumpers at the top of the board.
    However, I don't think it's worth messing with, because raising the bus
    frequency for the CPU raises the PCI and AGP frequencies as well, and they
    don't handle overclocking so well.
    As an example, raising the CPU frequency to 120Mhz will raise the PCI bus to
    40 Mhz and the AGP bus to 80 Mhz. The "theoretical" maximum of this board is
    660Mhz, a 120Mhz FSB with a 5.5 multiplier
    If you've got nothing to lose, and time on your hands, go for your life! :)

    Phÿltêr, May 27, 2004