questions about sol8 on a (gift) ultra-1 creator.

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by arthur wouk, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. arthur wouk

    arthur wouk Guest

    i recently acquired, as a gift, an ultra 1 creator with the 200mhz
    64bit cpu. at that price, no questions were asked. all my previous
    experience has been with solaris on sparc2s and sparc10s.

    i have had several questions arise as i work with the
    computer. the first one is that the hard drive is jumpered to
    scsi target 0, while solaris 8 and all other versions i have seen prefer
    that it be set at target 3 on the scsi chain.

    question 1) if i reset the jumpers to target 3, will i have to
    reinstall the os? i have no qualms about that, but would prefer not
    going through that process again. also, should i reset it - i.e. is it
    important enough for me to do it?

    question 2) when the system boots it tells me that although the
    64bit version of sol8 is installed, hardware is incorrect for the 64bit
    version, and it boots up in the 32bit version. what else besides the
    cpu could be wrong with the hardware to force me to the 32bit version
    of the os?

    question 3) since the ultra 1 is still heat-sensitive like the
    sparcstations which preceded it, i would like to install a large hard
    drive on the external scsi port. (it came with a 4gig drive). i know
    about the scsi-2 external boxes, but nothing about 68-pin scsi
    external boxes. are there any, or what else does one do to house such
    an external drive?

    arthur wouk, Feb 2, 2005

  2. arthur wouk

    Steve S. Guest

    The hard drive is an SCA type scsi drive that doesn't use jumpers - Is
    your's different ?
    If you were able to do this I believe you would just have to re alias
    the drive
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the U1 ! Check to see if your OBP
    revision is 3.11.1 or higher.
    Any external scsi case with a 68 pin connector should work. I would
    suggest a sun 611 case.

    Steve S., Feb 2, 2005

  3. arthur wouk

    Rich Teer Guest

    The Ultra 1 is a nice machine!
    It's a HW thing. The ULtra's are hardwired to use IDs 0 and 1. The
    disks shoudn't have any ID jumpers installed.
    No, leave it as 0.
    Make sure you have the latest version of the OBP installed, then
    edit the boot.conf file mentioned in the boot up messages.

    It wouldn't be a bad idea to install the latest version of S9 on
    this boz too.
    Use a Sun 611 box. But any fairly modern disk should be OK
    internally.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, author of "Solaris Systems Programming"

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Feb 2, 2005
  4. You do not strap the SCSI ID on SCSI disks with SCA connectors. The ID
    for the disks is hardwired in the SCA backplane. There is no preference
    for ID 3 in Solaris, so ID 0 is fine.

    The "boot from ID 3" thing started with the first SPARCstation 1 that
    could take internal disks. Sun assumed that buyers would like to move
    the external disk packs from old Sun3 systems to the new SPARC system
    and as the Sun3 disk packs had to be opened to change the SCSI ID Sun
    made the bad decision to have SPARCstations boot from ID 3. This madness
    ended after many years and the ULTRA systems now boots from ID 0.
    Yes. Alternatively you have to find all places where the disk name
    is stored, like /etc/vfstab, and change it.

    Goran Larsson, Feb 2, 2005
  5. On 02 Feb 2005 18:38:38 GMT
    The SCSI ID is set through the SCA connector, there's no need
    to change it.
    If you didn't get a message about the OBP level, booting the
    64-bit OS is as easy as removing the # from the last line of
    /platform/sun4u/boot.conf:

    ALLOW_64BIT_KERNEL_ON_UltraSPARC_1_CPU=true
    There's no need to install an external disk. A modern SCSI
    drive typically generates less heat than the 2.1GB drives
    the U1 was designed for (certainly if you don't get those
    that spin at 15000rpm). My U1 is happy as a pig in mud with
    a 36GB 1" Seagate.

    Take care,

    Stefaan A Eeckels, Feb 2, 2005