Questions re flashing BIOS and changing multiplier/frequency

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Patrick Tite, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Patrick Tite

    Patrick Tite Guest

    CPU(s)
    Number of CPUs 1

    Code Name Barton
    Specification AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2500+
    Family / Model / Stepping 6 A 0
    Extended Family / Model 7 A
    Core Stepping
    Technology 0.13 µ
    Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended
    3DNow!, SSE
    CPU Clock Speed 1100.0 MHz
    Clock multiplier x 11.0
    Front Side Bus Frequency 100.0 MHz
    Bus Speed 200.0 MHz
    L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line
    size
    L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes
    line size
    L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Speed 1100.0 MHz (Full)
    L2 Location On Chip
    L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
    L2 Bus Width 64 bits

    Mainboard and chipset
    Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    Motherboard model A7V600, REV 1.xx
    BIOS vendor Award Software, Inc.
    BIOS revision ASUS A7V600 ACPI BIOS Revision 1005
    BIOS release date 08/01/2003
    Chipset VIA KT600 rev. 80
    Southbridge VIA VT8237 rev. 0
    Sensor chip FFFF

    AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.5
    AGP Data Transfert Rate 4x
    AGP Side Band Addressing supported, not enabled
    AGP Aperture Size 64 MBytes

    Memory
    DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
    DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
    DRAM Frequency 133.3 MHz
    FSB:DRAM FSB + 33 MHz
    DRAM Interleave 4-way
    CAS# Latency 2.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
    RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
    Cycle Time (TRAS) 6 clocks
    # of memory modules 2
    Module 0 DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MBytes
    Module 1 DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MBytes

    Voltage 1.744

    Obviously my Core speed is way low however when I increase it i.e. 11 *166
    or 11*200 the system will reboot automatically (CPU Temp is generally <35
    deg)
    in the interim before loading Windows XP.

    Questions
    Will flashing the BIOS help with this?
    Should I reinstall Windows XP when I change the core setting?
    Any other suggestions?

    Patrick Tite, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Patrick Tite

    Ben Pope Guest

    Patrick Tite wrote:

    See my reply in alt.comp.overclocking.amd

    Usually best to cross-post to a limited number of groups than post the same
    message to multiple groups seperately.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jan 25, 2004