Quick, quick, Slow!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by co10, Oct 6, 2006.

  1. co10

    co10 Guest

    IBM Thinkpad A20M, 700mg P3 processor, 256mg ram, 40gb Hitachi Travelstar
    hard drive, WinXP Pro SP2.

    I connected this laptop to the internet last night for the first time since
    owning it. It connects, is like greased lightning for two pages, then just
    stalls. When I say pages I mean going to different URL's. I tried to
    download AVG updates, and it was running at 2 Kb/s, turned off, rebooted and
    reconnected and it downloaded at 290 Kb/s (I never get really good speeds).
    After the download, I went IBM site, agin no problems, then tried to go to
    the IBM support site and the whole lot froze. Reboot, reconnect, all was
    fine for two pages, then freeze.

    By coincidence, I setup a Broadband connection on a Packard Bell a few days
    ago, and it is doing exactly the same thing. Different town, different
    exchange, same problem.

    My main computer that I am posting this from, is fine, so unlikely to be a
    line problem. Anyone any ideas.
    Thanks
    Bill

    co10, Oct 6, 2006