    and increasingly from other places too.

    So is it possible to install V7 but still keep V6.5.2 (with Pro enabled)
    accessible?

    Paul Sture, Aug 15, 2006

  2. Paul Sture

    Davoud Guest

    *****

    Not on the same system installation. But if you can install the OS on a
    second HD or on a another partition on your existing drive then you can
    keep QT 6 Pro on your existing installation and upgrade to QT 7
    (non-Pro) on the new installation.

    Believe me, I sympathize. I need QT Pro on five Macs for various video
    editing functions and it certainly gets expensive at upgrade time!

    Good luck!

    Davoud

    Davoud, Aug 15, 2006

  3. Paul Sture

    Paul Sture Guest

    Thanks Davoud. Another drive or partition is the way to go then.

    Paul Sture, Aug 16, 2006
  4. That shouldn't be necessary.
    I saw this tip published on macfixit or macintouch a couple of times:

    Before upgrading to 7 make a copy of your 6.5 player, rename it to for
    instance "QickTime Player 6.5" and store itt some place else. After the
    upgrade to 7 the pro features of the 6.5 player will still be available
    - you get the best of both worlds.

    Martin Sammtleben, Aug 16, 2006
  5. Paul Sture

    Frank Guest

    One of the regrets on changing from PC to Mac is my disappointment in
    my iMac handling of video clips. Nothing prepackaged free with OS
    10.4.7 allow me to edit my .avi files. When I use IMovie the format
    used by it does not allow the clip produced to be viewed by PC users.
    Pre-packaged free QuickTime (v 7) does not permit editing; apprarently
    Pro (not free) needed for that. Trying to get that has been a
    nightmare. Paid for it twioce on by credit card and I still have been
    unable to install it. I t dont know where it went, nor where it (Pro)
    is on my hard drive or even if it is there.

    Frank, Aug 16, 2006
  6. Paul Sture

    Philo D Guest

    And nothing prepackaged free with Windows allows me to edit .mov files
    .... I wonder why?

    sorry

    Philo D, Aug 16, 2006
  7. Paul Sture

    David Empson Guest

    QuickTime Pro isn't an extra piece of software. When you pay for it, you
    just get a serial number, which needs to be entered into the QuickTime
    panel in System Preferences.

    This will activate the "Pro" features of the already installed copy of
    QuickTime.

    The registration number is tied to your name, so make sure you enter
    your name exactly the same as how it was entered when purchasing
    QuickTime Pro.

    David Empson, Aug 16, 2006
  8. Paul Sture

    Paul Sture Guest

    Thanks very much. That works perfectly. :)

    Paul Sture, Aug 16, 2006