Quicktime Pro registration OSX for 1000 users ??

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Guest, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    Problem:
    University of Applied Science and Arts of Hannover/Germany.
    Department of Design and New Media. ~1000 Students/Staff

    We have ~30 older G3/G4 Macintosh with OS9. Most with
    valid QUICKTIME PRO Licenses.

    We want to buy 50 new G5-Dual and I installed a OS 10.3 TestPark
    with 5 G4/AGP-Macs with NFS-Mounted USerdirectories from our big Unix-Server
    and Userautentication via NIS/Yellow-Pages. All work Perfect. All
    new Software (FinalCutPro, Macromind, AfterEffects, e.g works very
    good in our 1000 User Department......

    ....BUT there is a Problem with Quicktime Pro.

    We ordered 5 new Quicktime Pro Licenses and I inserted 5 different
    KEYS in 5 different Apples as Administrator.

    No User can use Quicktime Pro.

    PROBLEM: I have to register Quicktime Pro on EVERY Computer on EVERY
    Account. This will be 50 Computers x 1000 Users = 50.000 and I have
    to give all Users rights to enter System-settings, what I don't want to...

    Does Anyone has a (dirty or not) Trick to insert that Key in all Accounts?

    Apple has to change that or it will loose a big customer. I will NOT
    buy that 50 G5's or any other Mac in Future. Does they ever heared of UNIX ???

    :-(

    Please no e-mail, only postings

    Thanks for all answers,

    Guest, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Guest

    Gnarlodious Guest

    What you need is an Applescript. You would either run it from some central
    location or distribute it to individual machines and run it when it arrives.

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Guest

    stan Guest

    What did your university's Apple sales rep say in response
    to you when you raised this issue?

    stan, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I will ask them after my Xmas-Holiday....

    Guest, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Guest

    Tom Dowdy Guest

    From Apple's QuickTime Pro web page:
    "Education/Corporate/Volume Purchasing

    If your organization needs multiple copies of QuickTime Pro or
    information, please call us at 1-800-747-7483."

    I'd recommend at least starting there.

    Tom Dowdy, Dec 19, 2003