    format my digital camera take s movies in...

    Thanks!!!!
    Rob, Sheffield, UK

    Murf, Sep 27, 2004

  2. I think the last 9 version was 5.x. Some editing capabilities.
    The alternatives are much more expensive. I would say, go ahead
    and send them the $30; they can use the money.

    George Williams, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Murf

    Kyle Jones Guest

    Have you tried File -> Import in iMovie? I tried this without
    QuickTime Pro and successfully imported an mpeg.

    Also, QuickTime Pro will let you trim segments out of a movie but
    I don't see any way to join clips with it.

    Kyle Jones, Sep 27, 2004
  4. Murf

    D.F. Manno Guest

    Nope, 6.0.3

    D.F. Manno, Sep 27, 2004
  5. Simple -- just use cut/copy & paste. The clip that was cut/copied will
    be inserted in the current movie at the current frame.

    Timothy Binder, Sep 29, 2004
  6. Murf

    Kyle Jones Guest

    This works within the same movie, but not from one movie to
    another, which is what you would need to join clips. What I
    attempt to paste between movies I find the paste option greyed
    out.

    Kyle Jones, Sep 30, 2004
  7. By "movies", do you mean mpeg files?

    George Williams, Sep 30, 2004
  8. Murf

    Kyle Jones Guest

    Yes.

    Kyle Jones, Sep 30, 2004
  9. Assuming you're using OS X:
    It's extremely unlikely that your version of QT will allow
    editing those. If you want to concatenate various mpeg clips,
    there is a great deal of misinformation about how to do it,
    so I hope I'm not adding to it by suggesting MPEG Streamclip
    http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html
    You are using trn 4.0-test76 - is that some command-line thing?

    George Williams, Sep 30, 2004
  10. Murf

    Kyle Jones Guest

    Indeed. I can copy/paste from one .mov file to another
    ..mov. with QT Pro. I can't do anything with MPEGs but play them.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Yes. It's the thread-aware version of rn, Larry Wall's venerable
    newsreader that was written in the days when everyone read news
    on a dumb terminal. I still prefer it because I can get through
    the news faster with it than with any GUI newsreader that I've
    tried.

    Kyle Jones, Oct 1, 2004
  11. It really depends on the mpg. Most mpegs have to be demuxed before
    iMovie or Quicktime Pro will let you do anything with them. I just tried
    iMovie with a bunch of mpgs that I have and it could import none of
    them.

    So if the OP's focus is mostly mpegs, he may need to get something else
    to go with Quicktime pro before he finds anything useful to do with it.

    Jonathan Brady, Oct 1, 2004
  12. Yes, I recall now. QT 3 was bad for mpegs, then they consolidated
    mpeg-playing (and limited editing) in QT-4 Pro. Realising their
    mistake, they crippled later versions of QT Pro in regard to mpeg
    editing. Don't know if they ever explained why. As there is still
    no Internet video standard (and may not be for many years to come),
    there is an huge amount of cash riding on which competing codec
    finally "wins". Given the anarchic situation, I really doubt there
    will ever be a globally accepted standard, until the Earth Federation
    takes over in 2099 and we're all living on our rations of soylent
    green ;-)

    George Williams, Oct 1, 2004