    recommendation for a cpu fan/heatsink that is quiet.

    Thanks

    Scott

    SL, Oct 16, 2004

  2. SL

    Bruce Mckown Guest

    Bruce Mckown, Oct 16, 2004

  3. SL

    Firthy Guest

    http://www.spirecoolers.com/
    I can recommend the whisper rock IV, I have one cooling my XP2500+ @ 3200+
    with no probs whatsoever, and nice and cool/silent

    Firthy

    Firthy, Oct 16, 2004
  4. SL

    Kevin C. Guest

    I am also using this with my stock XP3200+. CPU temp ranges from 39 at idle
    to 44 at active, very quiet, prettier than most, and I got it for 12 bucks.
    All in all a great deal.

    Kevin C., Oct 16, 2004
  5. SL

    Wes Newell Guest

    TR2-M1 or -M3 (no leds). 21db. About $8. Worked great at the highest
    overclock.

    http://www.tr2tt/products/coolers/duronandathlon.htm

    Wes Newell, Oct 16, 2004
  6. SL

    Kokoro Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, SL ordered an army of hamsters to type:

    how about a large thermalright sink (SLK-900A) with a large slow reving fan
    like a vantec stealth 92mil

    Kokoro, Oct 16, 2004
  7. Zalman 7000A CU, beats all of those peices of crap, its quiet, and
    cools the best, just make sure it can fit your board.

    Its JUST ME!!!, Oct 16, 2004
  8. SL

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    beats all of those peices of crap

    I don't think you should be calling any thermalright SLK's crap. They are some
    of the best performing heatsinks ever made.

    PRIVATE1964, Oct 16, 2004
  9. SL

    SL Guest

    I just bought this for $12 including postage. Thanks for the tips everyone.

    SL, Oct 16, 2004
  10. SL

    SL Guest

    I thought about this, but this is one very expensive heatsink, and then
    you've got to purchase a fan. But if I were really pushing the limit, this
    option look good.

    SL, Oct 16, 2004
  11. Compared to the Zalman 7000A Cu any SLK is crap, i mean they don't
    even come with a fan, and they don't cool as good and are not very
    quiet compared to the 7000a, and he wanted a quiet cooler.

    Its JUST ME!!!, Oct 16, 2004
  12. SL

    Wes Newell Guest

    I'm sure the 7000A-CU is a very good cooler. And if one wants to spend $40
    for one vs $8 for one that will also do just about as good a job, then
    more power (and less money) to them. But in the end either would work fine
    at the same noise level.:)

    Wes Newell, Oct 16, 2004
  13. SL

    Wes Newell Guest

    The Thermalright ALX-800 at low fan speeds actually works better than the
    all copper units IIRC. And it's only $18 + $.99 for a quiet 80mm fan. If i
    wanted to spend more than $10, this is what I'd get, otherwise I'd get an
    $8 TR2-M3 (or M1 if you like the lights)..

    Wes Newell, Oct 16, 2004
  14. What temps are getting?

    Thanks

    Ron A. Marraccini

    Ron Marraccini, Oct 16, 2004
  15. SL

    Firthy Guest

    Im getting 24/39 at idle XP2500+ @ 3200+ abt 22c room

    Firthy

    Firthy, Oct 16, 2004
  16. SL

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    I don't know what your smoking, but Zalman coolers are not anything special
    compared to Thermalright. I do have a Zalmon passive heatsink on my
    Northbridge, but I would never consider using a Zalmon heatsink on my CPU. I
    also would replace that Zalmon on the Northbridge with a Thermalright model if
    it wasn't such a pain taking it off.

    You could throw on an SLK 900 with a slow rpm fan and it will be quiet with
    great cooling. I'm using an SLK800 with a Tornado fan that I never run over
    2500RPM's It keeps my Barton 2500 at around 36C. Just because it's an SLK does
    not mean you can not use a slow RPM fan with it.

    PRIVATE1964, Oct 16, 2004
  17. their IS NO, noise with my Zalman 7000A cu, and mines running like
    1400 rpm now and my cpu is 36c :)

    Its JUST ME!!!, Oct 17, 2004
  18. SL

    Wes Newell Guest

    Why so hot?:)

    fan1: 2311 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
    fan2: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
    fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
    CPU Temp: +32°C (low = +15°C, high = +55°C) sensor = diode
    M/B Temp: +26°C (low = +15°C, high = +40°C) sensor = thermistor

    Well, the fan on the TR2-M3 is only 2500rpm. Get the SE model for a couple
    of bucks more and it comes with a speed control so you could lower it to
    1400rpm. But at 2500rpm, you can't hear it over the the PSU and case
    fans. And while it may not keep the cpu at 36C at 1400rpm (I don't know),
    it would certainly be well within the limits. With Athcool running, I can
    disconnect the fan and it idle temp only goes up 2C, from 31C to 33C.

    BTW, the system above is my A64 system that I'm using now.:)

    Wes Newell, Oct 17, 2004
  19. Iam running a mobile 2500, overclokced to 2.4ghz :), not sure if that
    makes my cooler better or not ?, using a vcore of 1.7 volts.

    Its JUST ME!!!, Oct 17, 2004
  20. SL

    Bruce Mckown Guest

    The Thermaltake Silentboost is not a piece of crap. Why don't you read
    some reviews before opening your pie hole?

    Bruce Mckown, Oct 18, 2004