    Is there any perfromance laptop with zero or quiet fan?
    My Toshiba M30 when cooling is quite noisy.....
    I remember about older Toshibas with a variable speed fans very quiet.....

    Atlas, Feb 4, 2006

  2. Atlas

    A New Day Guest

    Dell M60...........oh so quiet.

    A New Day, Feb 4, 2006

  3. Atlas

    Atlas Guest

    Have you got an idea about Dell Inspiron series 9300/9400?

    Atlas, Feb 4, 2006
  4. Atlas

    DCA Guest

    Yeah - go to ZDNET and read the reviews. Dell are renound (apparently)
    for overheating.
    Me - HP/Compaq have ALWAYS been A1. Toshiba are good too but no-where
    near as robust. My HP nc6000 is very very quiet and variable fan speed

    DCA, Feb 4, 2006
  5. uhuh, before my recent problem (see other post) I never heard a squeak from
    the fans. Nothing at all.
    'and I own an HP Presario.

    Who Turned Off The Lights?, Feb 4, 2006
  6. Atlas

    DCA Guest

    Hmmm - pretty much the same model as my old Evo N800W. Excellent machines

    DCA, Feb 4, 2006
  7. Atlas

    A New Day Guest

    yaaawwwnwnnnnnnnnn...........bullshit so the odd few post an
    overheat......probably using it with the vents covered

    A New Day, Feb 5, 2006
  8. Atlas

    me here Guest

    My Compaq Presario is dead quiet regards the fan, but the hard drive
    clicks regularly and is a bit of an annoyance.

    Seems to be doing somesort of seek action, even when the lappy is just
    not actually doing anything.

    Rob

    me here, Feb 6, 2006
  9. Not entirely relevant, but mine's quite the stomach grinder when I've a disc
    inside the drive bay.
    Imagine when you're terribly hungry and your stomach's acting up.
    Beyond that, I ignore it or simply remove the disc if I don't really need it
    at the moment.
    'and yes, it occurs even if I'm not using that disc....thus the "seek
    action" on my end.

    Who Turned Off The Lights?, Feb 6, 2006
  10. Atlas

    Good Man Guest

    your hard drive is precariously close to dying. back-up and replace.

    Good Man, Feb 7, 2006
  11. Good Man,

    any suggestions for online vendors for hard drives? Mine's fine but 60 Gig
    is just too small for me and I could really use a bigger one. I've looked
    and looked and can't find a reputable well known name online.

    Who Turned Off The Lights?, Feb 7, 2006
  12. Atlas

    Good Man Guest

    hmmm, im canadian and only know of www.ncix.com

    good luck! a >60GB laptop drive (and presumably higher than 4200 RPM) will
    set you back a bit though.

    Good Man, Feb 8, 2006
  13. Yah, I kinda figured that much. But 60 gigs doesn't take me too far
    considering all the videos and photos I play with from my cameras. A bit
    tired of having to turn to my external hard drive so often.

    Hmmmm, I might just have to start investing in loads of extra video tape
    instead and store movies that way.

    Who Turned Off The Lights?, Feb 9, 2006
  14. Atlas

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I've bought from both zipzoomfly.com and newegg.com several times, no
    probs.

    Paul Rubin, Feb 9, 2006
  15. Thanks. 'just looked.

    Funny how they're called Mobile Hard Drives.

    Who Turned Off The Lights?, Feb 9, 2006
  16. Atlas

    Joel Kolstad Guest

    This is not necessarily true -- many hard drives will sit around and perform
    thermal recalibrations, making noise in the process, and this is perfectly
    normal. I used to have a Sony VAIO that did this from the 1st day I had it,
    and it worked for something like 3 years before I sold it.

    I would, however, run a SMART reporting tool and see if the hard drive really
    _is_ having problems. Still, I'd bet you a nickel that the vast majority of
    hard drives that occasionally seek for no apparent reason are perfectly
    healthy.

    Joel Kolstad, Feb 9, 2006