    How would one go about getting a quiet multimedia socket A based system? Can
    you underclock, undervolt mobile athlons easily to where they wouldn't need
    much cooling?

    Doug, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Doug

    Wes Newell Guest

    Sure, get a quiet PSU. A case with good ventilation, lower vcore to 1.5v
    or less, and clock the cpu to about 1500MHz. Use a silent type cpu cooler.
    A TR2-M1 or -M3 is good, cheap and very quiet (21dba). If it still makes
    too much noise lower the fan speed a little.

    Wes Newell, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Doug

    Conor Guest

    Look at the Zallman Flower CPU coolers.

    Conor, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Just been on a quest of achieving this. First thing I did was to replace
    the CPU fan - I have a big Thermalright copper HS with a 90mm fan.
    Replaced the old fan with a Vantec. Next, I replaced the fan on the mobo
    with a passive heatsink, put a Zalman fanless heatpipe cooler on my
    Radeon 9600 XT video card, and replaced my 3 old harddrives with a new
    fluid bearing Seagate one (250 Gb, 7200 rpm). Replaced old PSU with a
    420W Enermax. Got an Antec SLK 3000 case - this case mounts the
    harddrives with rubber grommets to reduce vibrations being transferred.
    It's pretty quiet now - I have to look for the led on the front of the
    case to see if it's on when I walk into the room. But it's not silent. I
    think the cpu fan still makes noise by inducing the case to vibrate
    some.

    All that cost me some $$$, but mostly I just replaced parts that were
    quite old (PSU, hdd) or had to be replaced (old case too big to fit into
    my new desk). Big difference though: before it sounded like a jumbo jet
    taking off down the hallway :)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 8, 2005