  1. blackgold

    blackgold Guest

    why is it so quiet here?

    blackgold, Apr 2, 2004

  2. blackgold

    Roger Hunt Guest

    Possibly because most people have now upgraded from their 503+, or
    destroyed it, like me, with excessive fiddling and overclocking.

    And is any other board ever discussed here?
    Not often.

    Roger Hunt, Apr 2, 2004

  3. blackgold

    Robert Akins Guest

    I'm still checking in from time to time, out of sentiment more than anything
    else, but still willing to help if I can. My 503+ machine sits out in the
    garage with all my other computer relics, including my first
    built-from-scratch machine, a 5x86-133, waiting for me to decide their
    fates.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Apr 2, 2004
  4. blackgold

    Roger Hunt Guest

    How can you leave your Babies in the garage like that??!
    Surely the thing to do is make your wife throw some things out so there
    is room indoors. :)

    Roger Hunt, Apr 2, 2004
  5. blackgold

    Den Guest

    Agreed, its a shame to leave a working 503+ in such a place, while
    I am trying to decide which soundcard to put back in the 503+ to
    match the TNT2 NVidia 53.04 drivers.
    Choices;
    1. OPTiSound ISA card with ECTIVA(7-10-1998)drivers.
    2. C-MEDIA 8738 PCI, but with the horrible volume control.
    3. SB with Panasonic controller extended ISA card, but
    worked well.and I see drivers still included on the CD_Pro_v5_2
    ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/driver/

    Den

    Den, Apr 2, 2004
  6. blackgold

    Roger Hunt Guest

    I only ever really used an AWE 64 Value and my old Leak amplifier and
    speakers so I'm afraid my experience is somewhat limited there.
    (A Speaker near the monitor makes pretty patterns but it now needs
    degaussing every time it comes on after a period of Suspend.
    Goodness knows what damage might be done to a TFT monitor ..... )

    Is that SB card of yours a SoundBlaster Live? I tried one once and it
    was terribly tinny, but it may have been slightly beyond it's best
    - somebody threw it out for a reason, after all.

    Roger Hunt, Apr 2, 2004
  7. blackgold

    Den Guest

    No, its a genuine 1994 SB full length (only fits in one ISA slot) 16bit,
    but it is/was good until i tried XP but no drivers available, but now
    back using W98SE.
    Though wondering if changing original CDROM for later model will
    be better if it will work on the soundcard onboard CD controller.

    I am using headphones but the OPTi ISA card has no headphone socket
    resulting in poor low volume control.

    The C-MEDIA8738 PCI driver disk contained a limited set of drivers
    including a sad part only volume control (part of the WillowMedia set)
    again no headphone output. On above link there is a 147MB DL.

    Den

    Den, Apr 2, 2004
  8. blackgold

    Kylesb Guest

    | In article <sa7bc.3143$>, Robert Akins
    | >I'm still checking in from time to time, out of sentiment more than
    anything
    | >else, but still willing to help if I can. My 503+ machine sits out
    in the
    | >garage with all my other computer relics, including my first
    | >built-from-scratch machine, a 5x86-133, waiting for me to decide
    their
    | >fates.
    |
    | How can you leave your Babies in the garage like that??!
    | Surely the thing to do is make your wife throw some things out so
    there
    | is room indoors. :)
    | --
    | Roger Hunt

    lmao

    Kylesb, Apr 3, 2004
  9. blackgold

    Tim Guest

    FIC has all but dropped off the retail scene, at least in the United
    States. Very few retailers carry FIC, anymore. A search by brand for
    "FIC" motherboards on Pricewatch.com yields only three pages of
    'hits'. In contrast, brand searches for "MSI" yields 41 pages, "Asus"
    = 74 pages, and "Gigabyte" = 39 pages.

    Regards,

    Tim

    Tim, Apr 5, 2004
  10. blackgold

    Den Guest

    Even less in the UK, though I found a USB MB header for
    Jetway & FIC only (five entries no less) on this page, but no
    further info available.
    http://www.pcsuppliesuk.co.uk/cgi-bin/products.asp?pass=1&grp=Cables & Adaptors

    So where are the FIC MB's sold or are they sold as OEM boards,
    and the UK resellers lists have been a joke (at least since 2003).

    Den

    Den, Apr 5, 2004
  11. blackgold

    Wblane Guest

    FIC seems to have dropped the ball since SS7. They haven't had competititve
    offerings w/other manufacturers (at least for socket A) -- they didn't even
    come out w/an Nforce2 board. A big hi to Kyle too. I'm surprised he still
    visits here.

    Wblane, Apr 14, 2004
  12. blackgold

    Kylesb Guest

    Heh, I still have 2 503+ mobos, one in use, one spare.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kylesb, Apr 14, 2004
  13. Sure they did. The AU11 and AU13 are both NForce2 boards. In fact, the AU11
    is basically the same board as the Epox 8RDA+.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Apr 15, 2004
  14. blackgold

    Den Guest

    That right I intended to buy one, but gave up last year
    as nobody actually had them in stock.

    A lot of promises but none could supply, it struck me that
    after looking at various MB's their was a few similar to the FIC.

    Den
    --
    FIC AU11 Chameleon
    EPOX EP-8RDA+