    upgrading in the next few months to a faster athlon

    Thanks
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Paul

    Harry Guest

    I think finding a quiet cooler for your 850 will be a challenge....

    I have recently bought a Zalman 6000Cu Flower cooler. Its very quiet
    and looks the biz,

    It will cool up to XP2600 but it wont fit on anything less than a
    Thunderbird 1.4 so you 850 wont fit with it. I would upgrade the CPU
    and get a new cooler at the same time.

    Also, I hope you are thinking of a new Mobo as yours might not take
    anything more than a Thunderbird....

    see:
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/kbase.php?categories=1&model=88&faq_id=109
    for details on this.

    HTH

    Harry

    Harry, Oct 13, 2003

  3. Paul

    rstlne Guest

    I think Zalman say "Over 1.4GHz" because that's the max that the Flower
    could probably cool..
    I havent done a REAL REAL REAL big check into this but I am 99.9% sure that
    a zalman flower would still work for him..

    rstlne, Oct 13, 2003
  4. Paul

    rstlne Guest

    I have never heard of them.. Did some digging tho (as I really watch "quiet"
    products) and it doesnt look like they do any low noise products.. their
    80mm fans are similar spec to most 80mm fans (at 1600 rpm).. Panaflo fans
    are nice and quiet (careful when buying as some of them are really noisy
    too, look up the spec)..

    When your trying to make a "Quiet" pc you need to take it all in.. the power
    supply can be great at giving you noise, My loudest part is my power supply,
    not my heatsink fan.. It might sound really weird BUT you can sometimes make
    your system run cooler and lower the noise by using more fans.. If your
    current case fans (you probably dont have any but just in case) are running
    on 12v.. say 1 @ 12v then I would be tempted to replace them with 2 Panaflo
    and run them @ 7v..

    I am not a cooling buff but I did spend probably 100£ extra to remove some
    of the noise from my system..
    If I counted the psu and hs fans then I have a total of 6 (4x80mm) (2x92mm)
    and It's still quiet enough for me not to hear it during the day..

    rstlne, Oct 13, 2003
  5. Paul

    Blaedmon Guest

    theres some kinda 'turbine' looking one which is supposed to be hush quiet,
    maybe you could look that up.

    Blaedmon, Oct 13, 2003
  6. Paul

    Helinut Guest

    I think you mean the Thermaltake Aero 7 lite, About £15 in the UK.
    The specs seem to indicate it is quieter than most.
    Getting one myself soon

    Helinut, Oct 13, 2003
  7. Paul

    mrdancer Guest

    I've been using a PAL Alpha 8045 on an 850 Duron for several years now.
    With a sunon fan, it is pretty quiet and keeps the system plenty cool. I'm
    also using an Alpha 8045 on a 1400 Tbird (which runs much hotter!). The
    1400 needs a louder fan, but it still cools well.

    Swiftech has a pretty nice new heatsink
    http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCX462-V.asp
    Add a nice Panaflo or Papst fan from www.caseetc.com or www.plycon.com
    www.plycon.com also has the new Swifty, but it's kinda expensive at $49USD.

    mrdancer, Oct 13, 2003
  8. Paul

    Will Dormann Guest

    Nonsense. Socket A is Socket A. There's no reason the Zalman
    wouldn't fit his processor just because it runs at a slower speed.

    -WD

    Will Dormann, Oct 13, 2003
  9. Paul

    Harry Guest

    Hey! Dont shoot the messenger... I only reported what the Zalman
    website said.

    :eek:)

    Harry, Oct 13, 2003
  10. Paul

    Lost Guest

    Hmm the stock fan that came with my Athlon 850 is completely silent. Don't you
    mean the noise coming from your PSU fan do you?
    By the way, leaving the computer on all day every day will cost you 100s of $ in
    electricity. You also probably shouldn't be exposed to all that
    electromagneticality while you're sleeping.
    You may be able to use an Athlon XP with your current motherboard, but it can
    take a bit of work to get the multipliers right. You could try increasing the
    front side bus to 105MHz in the meantime.

    Lost, Oct 13, 2003
  11. Paul

    Harry Guest

    Harry, Oct 13, 2003
  12. Paul

    Flow Guest

    The silent ones from coolermaster are pretty silent.

    Flow, Oct 13, 2003
  13. Paul

    kony Guest

    True, but with any larger, especially atypically-shaped cooler, a
    careful measurement of the motherboard is advised to be sure it'll
    fit.

    Dave

    kony, Oct 13, 2003
  14. Paul

    neil s Guest

    might make it too cool..... :p

    Neil

    neil s, Oct 13, 2003
  15. Paul

    neil s Guest

    Probly the quietest hsf right now would be the zalman 6000 alcu mixed
    metal hsf, not positive but beleive the 6000 cu is only for p4 and a64 due
    to the heatsheild used on the cpu's and considering the weight of over 770
    g.
    So the
    6000a in silent mode should be more than fine for your 850 t-bird and any
    future purchase's you make, and believe it comes with all mounting hardware
    needed to work on p4, a64 and xp processor's, leaves you all the options.
    I use a couple vantec areo-flows on a dually board I have but didn't want
    to spend a fortune on two sinks for the dually, there not bad but I hear
    them forsure, all my other amd machines are water cooled. A p4 I have I
    use's a spark7 thermaltake running on its own sensor, an amd version of this
    may also suffice, but believe the extra money for the zalman will yeild
    you quieter results.

    Neil

    neil s, Oct 13, 2003
  16. Paul

    Robert Guest

    Perhaps you are referring to the 7000a - the 6000 is the older kit with
    separate heat sink and fan. According to the Zalman site both the Al/Cu
    and Cu versions of the 7000a fit Athlon 462 and 64 sockets.

    Robert, Oct 13, 2003
  17. Paul

    rstlne Guest

    Here in the UK our electricity is cheaper..
    I would say it's probably a good 1/10th what I woulda paid in the states..
    (louisiana)

    rstlne, Oct 13, 2003
  18. Paul

    ~misfit~ Guest

    <top posting fixed>

    Maybe you mean the Vantec Aeroflow? It's supposed to be an excellent cooler
    and uses a TMD fan which makes a different noise to a normal fan, not as
    obtrusive.

    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2003
  19. Paul

    Ken Wright Guest

    An adapter with a larger fan would run at a much lower RPM while
    still moving a similar volume of air. The smaller high speed fans
    gave me problems on my old Athlon with CAK-32, the adapter for
    larger fan was effective at lowering the noise level, however
    other sources of noise became apparent. (power supply, graphics
    card fan, hard drives)

    Good luck

    Ken Wright, Oct 14, 2003
  20. Paul

    neil s Guest

    Yeah sorry, your right was referring to the 7000 cu not even an amd sink :p, your
    right he should be after the 7000A cu sink...

    Neil

    neil s, Oct 14, 2003