    cards, and CD-ROM. FWIW, PC Doctor say the CMOS is failing as is the CD
    drive. The BIOS is at default settings.

    I really don't want to trash this machine- any ideas?

    Carl Byrns, Oct 11, 2005

  2. Carl Byrns

    GomJabbar Guest

    If you remove the CD drive from the laptop, will it boot up then?

    GomJabbar, Oct 11, 2005

  3. Carl Byrns

    GomJabbar, Oct 11, 2005
  4. Carl Byrns

    Carl Byrns Guest

    No such luck :-(

    Thanks- Carl

    Carl Byrns, Oct 11, 2005
  5. Carl Byrns

    GomJabbar Guest

    Can you boot up from the Windows XP Pro CD? Make sure CD is before
    hard drive in boot sequence in BIOS. If you can boot from the CD,
    reinstall Windows.

    If the above doesn't work, try making some Startup Diskettes and boot
    up from them. Maybe the CD can be read if you boot up from the Startup
    Diskettes.

    GomJabbar, Oct 12, 2005
  6. Carl Byrns

    Carl Byrns Guest

    The CD seems to be the problem- the computer isn't reading it. I used
    the floppy drive and a Win 98 start up disk to wipe the HD (thinking
    there might be a virus) but now the CD still won't read the IBM
    Recovery disk.

    -Carl

    Carl Byrns, Oct 13, 2005