R51: Wireless connection drops ->once after 12 minutes

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Bert Hyman, Nov 20, 2004.

  1. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    I'm using an R51 laptop with an Intel 2200BG NIC, running XP Pro SP2
    and the latest drivers and utilities from IBM, talking to an Actiontec
    GT701 DSL router/AP from Qwest, also with the latest firmware from Qwest.

    I'm using IBM's wireless management tools, not the XP stuff.

    I'm using WPA PSK, which seems to be part (or all) of the problem.

    On initial boot of XP, I get hooked up to the AP right away and everything
    works fine. After 12 minutes (as close as I can tell), the wireless
    connection stops working, although the signal is still strong.

    Monitoring the packets on an idle system using Ethereal, I see the AP and
    the laptop apparently exchanging WPA key info every 60 seconds. At the
    point of failure, I see the AP sending its half of the exchange to the
    laptop, but the laptop doesn't respond. The AP retries several times and
    then gives up.

    If I use the laptop's wireless utility program (IBM's "Access Connections"
    program) to disconnect and reconnect, the wireless connection will then
    work normally for the rest of my session, regardless of how long I stay
    connected.

    If I simply wait a while longer, the failure will be detected and the
    connection will be reestablished automatically.

    It ->looks like the problem is on the laptop's end, but I suppose the AP
    could start sending bad stuff after a while. But if that's the case, why
    does it only happen ONCE?

    Anybody seen anything like this? Any hints?

    Bert Hyman, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Bert Hyman

    Steve Stone Guest

    Try going into the configurations for the adaptor and changing power management
    settings to turn the radio on all the time.

    Steve

    Steve Stone, Nov 26, 2004

  3. Bert Hyman

    Chip Orange Guest

    Sounds like a good idea, I'll see if I can locate that dialog; I'm sure I
    can, it's just not obvious.

    Chip

    Chip Orange, Nov 27, 2004