    difference? (I don't think it should but I saw a mention of that
    somewhere.)
    Thanks.

    GTS, Sep 1, 2007

  2. GTS

    John Doue Guest

    Indeed, there is some oddity in IBM boot sector but using Acronis to do
    the cloning is the way to go.

    I am not familiar with the R52, only with the R51 but I seem to remember
    the R52 has a sata drive interface. I wonder if there might be a
    compatibility problem between your new drive and this interface. Other
    members of the NG will certain give you a more specific information.

    Is the new disk recognized in the BIOS normally? Did you use Acronis
    True Image to do the cloning or did you use Disk Director to copy
    partitions? If the latter is the case, I suggest you restart from
    scratch and use True Image to clone the disk using the manual option and
    the proportional option so that your system will look exactly the same
    as on the old disk, except that the new partitions will be expended.

    regards

    John Doue, Sep 2, 2007

  3. GTS

    GTS Guest

    John,

    Thanks for the reply. I later got it working. I used Acronis True
    Image with the proportional option the first time. The drive (IDE) was
    recognized and the data was all there but it wouldn't boot. After trying
    various unsuccessful fixes, I then cloned it again and chose NOT to use the
    proportional option. Oddly, that worked and the computer booted normally.
    I then used Partition Magic to expand the partition. I wish IBM had some
    meaningful documentation about this, but whatever works....

    GTS

    GTS, Sep 2, 2007
  4. GTS

    John Doue Guest

    Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure how to explain what happened and
    why the proportional option seems to have caused the problem. I
    certainly would like to know if this was a fluke or if there is a reason
    I cannot imagine.

    Don't expect IBM or Lenovo to explain the rationale of their approach.
    Some companies (Compaq was a typical one) like to deviate from generally
    accepted standards in order to somehow limit the ability of users to buy
    standard parts. This is a pain in the ... since, as you certainly
    noticed, using Partition Magic is not possible for a number of tasks. I
    have searched extensively for an explanation, but the few ones I found
    about IBM approach are way beyond my understanding. If you ever found
    one that you find understandable, let me know!

    Regards

    John Doue, Sep 3, 2007