Radeon 64ddr 4x agp card in 8x agp slot? (was: Another A7n8x-D won'tpost)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Randy, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Randy

    Randy Guest

    I took the "dead" a7n8x-d mobo to the local computer shop and the pc2700
    ddr
    memory is ok according to the tech. Here's what he did:

    1. Since I forgot to take my Radeon 9700 pro video card with me, he
    fired
    the board up with only my 512M pc2700 DDR333 no-name memory and HIS agp
    video card. (I don't know if it was a 4x or 8x). The mobo posted for
    him.

    2. He fired up the board with his memory and agp video card. The mobo
    posted
    for him.

    3. We thought it might be power supply problem on my end. So I replaced
    my
    Antec 450w with a HEC 350w. I still have no post.

    I'm suspecting my Radeon 9700 Pro video card is bad OR the agp slot is
    sloppy, or the mobo just doesn't like my radeon card. But why after 3-4
    weeks of running fine?

    The only thing I haven't done as yet is try another video card, but the
    only
    one I have to try is the Radeon 64DDR (4xagp) in the asus a7a266 that
    I'm
    using to post this message.

    Here's the big question: Can I try the Radeon 64ddr 4x agp card in the
    a7n8x-d mobo?

    Conversly, can I try the Radeon 9700 pro 8x agp card in the a7a266 mobo?

    Thanks so much for your help.

    Randy, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Randy

    Rodders Guest

    I'm using a Radeon 8500 with my A7N8X-D - no problems (the 8500 is basically
    the same as the 64DDR)

    Rodders, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Randy

    Randy Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I wasn't up to taking the a7a266 case off and swapping the
    video cards, so I took the radeon 9700 Pro card (that I forgot on Saturday) and
    the a7n8x-d card back to the computer shop, Advanced 2000. The tech kindly
    tested the combination again, plus put the radeon card in another system. The
    Radeon 9700 card is dead. I will rma it later this week.

    I bought a cheap Chaintech Geforce 4 MX440 video card (64Meg SDRAM 4agp) to use
    in the meantime. It now posts.

    Funny how there was no beeping signal telling me there was "no video". I thought
    all mobos did that. They should!

    Randy

    Randy, Jul 21, 2003
  4. Randy

    Ed Guest

    There may be voice coming out of line out instead of beeps from pc
    speaker, try a pair of headphones next time.

    Ed

    Ed, Jul 22, 2003
  5. Randy

    Randy Guest

    Ed wrote:
    You're right...I can hear the post reporter through the cheap speakers.

    p.s. as to the video problem? lightening storm the night before the mobo
    apparently went dead. Only took out the video card.

    Randy

    Randy, Jul 24, 2003