Radeon 9600 XP driver installation fails time after time

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Gialt Huininga, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. System:
    Asus A7N8X DeLuxe v2.00
    Sapphire Radeon 9600 128 MB (non-pro)
    160 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9 SATA
    Samtron SC-726DXL (old 17" CRT, formally non plug and play)
    HP L1925 19" TFT

    I installed the L1925 on the DVI connector and the Samtron on the VGA
    connector.

    Problem:
    When I try to install the ATI driver (v4.7, but older version gave the same
    problems) on my MS Windows XP Professional OS, the system reboots when it's
    finished and after that the screen goes blank just before the log/on screen
    should appear.
    (this is on the VGA-Samtron connection, I do not get any picture on the
    DVI-HP connection; without the ATI drivers, I am able to set the screen
    resolution to [email protected] Hz or [email protected] for example: no problems at
    all)

    What I have tried so far:
    - uninstalled drivers before installing them again
    - clean installation of MS Windows XP (incl. SP1 and DirectX 9.0b)
    - in mainboard BIOS AGP set to 4x
    - in mainboard BIOS Fastwrite set to Disabled
    - in mainboard BIOS increased AGP voltage to 1.7V
    - tried to let the installation finish in Save Mode

    But my system still doesn't work. Actually, I quite fed up with this
    problem: it costs me a lot of time. I used Matrox card for 7 years and never
    had a problem. I have searched the internet, google, forums etc. but I
    wasn't able to solve the problem. Is anyone able to solve this problem for
    me, or will this be my first and last ATI card?

    TIA,

    Gialt

    Gialt Huininga, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Gialt Huininga

    johns Guest

    Local Video Games store says many of the ATI cards
    they have received have been defective or visibly
    damaged, with parts missing. I don't know which
    card maker is doing this, but I suspect it is Sapphire,
    and they tried to get too many cards out too fast. The
    store had to RMA all of the first cards they received.
    I bought my 9600XT from Mwave.com, made by
    Gigabyte. It is nice, and Gigabyte seems to be good
    quality stuff.

    johns

    johns

    johns, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Gialt Huininga

    SpicaTC50 Guest

    Why do you suspect Sapphire? I have 3 of their cards and they've been
    exemplary. My 9600 Pro is a killer at OC'ing too. Stable as hell. I do hear
    some bad things about the Powerecolors though.

    SpicaTC50, Jul 14, 2004
  4. Gialt Huininga

    end user Guest

    what program do you use to OC your sapphire 9600?

    Locust

    On 14 Jul 2004 09:52:09 GMT, (SpicaTC50)

    ;

    end user, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Gialt Huininga

    SpicaTC50 Guest