    of each?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Michael

    Michael Sabadish, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Michael Sabadish

    neopolaris Guest

    I'm not sure there is a 256MB version of the 9600XT. I preordered a 128MB
    one today. The core clock is 100MHz faster than a 9600pro while the memory
    remains the same.

    neopolaris

    neopolaris, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Michael Sabadish

    S.SubZero Guest

    The XT is simply clocked higher and has a larger fan. That's the only
    difference besides the bundle.

    Also, 128MB vs 256MB.. I don't know many games that use over 64MB now (maybe
    UT2K3 but barely). Doom3 is the first game I can think of where 128MB is
    recommended. 256MB is fine, but you may be upgrading again before they even
    fill 128MB.

    -SSZ

    S.SubZero, Oct 14, 2003
  4. Michael Sabadish

    Thomas Guest

    I think if you play a more serious game at 1600*1200, at 16x Aniso, and 4x
    FSAA, you'll come near the 128 MB limit ;-)

    But well, i limit myself to 1280*960 anyway...

    Thomas

    Thomas, Oct 14, 2003
  5. Michael Sabadish

    Ed Forsythe Guest

    Doesn't the 9600XT's 0.13 Micron core make it a better OC candidate than the
    older 0.15 Micron chips?

    Ed Forsythe, Oct 15, 2003
  6. Michael Sabadish

    Inglo Guest

    The 9600 Pro is 0.13 too. You could be cynical and say the 9600XT is
    just an overclocked 9600 Pro, and you'd be relatively close to the
    truth. Plus the HL2 "bundle" is actually a Steam subscription that lets
    you download the single player HL2 when it comes out in April.
    I have my 9600 Pro core going at 475 MHz, running perfectly stable. So I
    bet if you did a benchmark comparison between the two you wouldn't see
    too much of a difference.
    I think the push back of the HL2 release is going to hurt the XT sales,
    there's not that much of an incentive to buy one now. If HL2 was going
    to be available next month and you were absolutely ready for a new card,
    I'd say hell yes to getting an XT.

    Inglo, Oct 15, 2003
  7. Michael Sabadish

    J.Clarke Guest

    Where did you see any indication that the R360 was "completely
    different" from the R350--the press seems to think that the
    only difference is that it's a little faster.
    No existing 9600 requires a secondary power input, and the 9600 Pro
    already runs pretty cool--take a look at the heat sink on the Sapphire
    9600 Ultimate vs the 9800 Ultimate--it's pretty small.
    That's a new feature of the XT boards--clever idea. As for the 9600,
    the 9600 uses an RV360, which appears to be an RV350 with a higher clock
    speed.
    Where have you read anything to this effect?

    J.Clarke, Oct 15, 2003
  8. Michael Sabadish

    Frank Weston Guest

    Isn't the XT built with the new low voltage R360 core which is completely
    different from the R350 of the current 9600? According to ATI, it won't
    require a secondary power input because it needs less power, and should run
    much cooler than the 9600 Pro. The 9600 XT uses the same core as the 9800
    XT and is reported to have temperature sensors on the board and be supplied
    with ATI's Overdrive software which will allow for "adaptive" overclocking.
    From all I've read, I'd say the 9600 XT is a very different card. It could
    approach the 9700 Pro in performance, be affordable, and work well in
    systems with smaller power supplies and/or less cooling capability. I'm
    waiting for some independent testing, but if it's anything like ATI's
    claims, I'll sure find good use for one.

    Frank Weston, Oct 15, 2003
  9. Michael Sabadish

    neopolaris Guest

    I don't see any secondary power connector on the 9600XT. It's red too ;-)

    neopolaris

    neopolaris, Oct 15, 2003
  10. Not true, there's been ome redesigning of the core. The memory controller is
    improved and they've added the thermal sensoring for example..
    Not entirely true that either, I think there's already games that takes
    advantage of the extra ram and run faster with it (I think Comanche 4 is
    one).

    Best Wishes
    Thomas

    Thomas Andersson, Oct 15, 2003
  11. 9600 have always been .13, 9800 is .15

    Best Wishes
    Thomas

    Thomas Andersson, Oct 15, 2003
  12. Michael Sabadish

    Inglo Guest

    There's no secondary power connector on the 9600 Pro either.

    Inglo, Oct 15, 2003
  13. Michael Sabadish

    Frank Weston Guest

    Frank Weston, Oct 15, 2003