    Which is better?
    Thanks
    NBK

    NBK, Oct 4, 2003

  2. NBK

    SpaceWalker Guest

    define better..

    SpaceWalker, Oct 4, 2003

  3. NBK

    YanquiDawg Guest

    The XT.

    YanquiDawg, Oct 4, 2003
  4. NBK

    NBK Guest

    faster

    NBK, Oct 4, 2003
  5. I would think the 9600XT, the 9500 Pro and the 9800SE would be very close in
    performance. I would like to see a review comparing the three. HINT HINT

    Because of the increased core frequency on the 9600XT, I think it would beat
    the 9500 Pro.

    TMC

    Too_Much_Coffee ®, Oct 4, 2003
  6. NBK

    Ikaros Guest

    But I recall reading a comparison review between the 9500 pro (which I have)
    and the 9600 (non-XT) and the conclusion was that the 9500 pro was better
    due to the fact that it has 8-pixel pipelines and the 9600 has only 4.
    Because of this the 9600 didn't benchmark as well even though it has a
    higher core clock frequency than the 9500 pro. Here are some review links
    that compare and contrast the two:

    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/2231351

    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDU4

    http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/ati_radeon_9600_pro_review/default.asp

    Ikaros, Oct 5, 2003
  7. NBK

    OverKlocker Guest

    i dont remember the site where i read this, but... they said the
    9600tx will be the first mainstream card to run (or pass) the 9700pro
    at stock speeds

    OverKlocker, Oct 5, 2003
  8. http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/ati_radeon_9600_pro_review/default.as

    The 9600XT will have a 100MHz faster core than the 9600 Pro so it should be
    faster than the 9500 Pro. ATI is claiming that the 9600XT will even be
    faster than the 9700 Pro.

    See the 'ATI 9700 pro v 9800 np' post two above this one.

    TMC

    Too_Much_Coffee ®, Oct 5, 2003
  9. NBK

    ugg Guest

    9600xt will be faster than 9500pro, particularly for newer games using 2.0
    shaders.

    best-0-luck,
    ugg

    ugg, Oct 5, 2003
  10. NBK

    Ikaros Guest

    Well that is good to hear! I don't really know anything about the new XT
    versions of ATI's latest cards other than the 9800XT being bundled with the
    game Half Life 2. Question: How many pixel pipelines does the 9600XT come
    with - 8 or just 4 like the regular 9600? Also one of the reviews I posted
    mentioned that the 9500 Pro uses essentially the same board design as the
    9700 and probably explains why ATI took the 9500 Pro off the market even
    though it was a hot seller because it was just as expensive as the more
    costly 9700 to produce. Either way go for whatever card you can afford to
    get the performance you can live with. If I could I would go for the 9800XT
    now. In May when I bought the 9500 Pro it beat the performance of it's then
    "non-XT" 9600 so-called replacement card and it only cost me $200 instead of
    $400 for the 9800 series that is out of my price range.

    Steve

    Ikaros, Oct 5, 2003
  11. Considering the 9800XT only looks to be ~25% faster than the 9700 Pro, then
    that's the shortest distance between mainstream and performance cards is
    quite a while.

    Andy Cunningham, Oct 5, 2003