Radeon 9600XT- What is your Idle Temp?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by QZ, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. QZ

    QZ Guest

    RE: Radeon 9600XT:

    What is your Video Card's Idle Temp?

    What is your Case temp?

    Who is the manufacturer of your ATI card?

    Are you using the stock cooler?

    If you unplugged the fan or have a Sapphire brand fanless card, what is idle
    temp?

    ------------------------------------

    My card's idle temp is 36 deg

    Case is at 29 deg

    I have a Hightech

    Stock cooler

    I think the card's fan is good compared to what I read about ATI's, but my
    PC case has, otherwise, large slow fans, and I think this fan is causing
    harmonic distortion.

    I am not going to change the cooler, so I was thinking about unplugging the
    fan, and seeing if I hear a difference, and if the temp is okay. I read a
    review that the 9800Pro idles at ~45 deg. w/ stock cooler or 43 deg w/
    Arctic Cooling *High* setting. I don't know about the 9600xt. I do know that
    *sometimes* fans are put on a card, to give the appearance of a powerful
    card when they aren't needed.

    Thanks,

    QZ

    QZ, Sep 3, 2004

  2. QZ

    Firthy Guest

    Tell me how to check the card temp and I will.. Cant find anything in the
    properties about the temp
    9600XT GeCube 128mb encore

    Firthy, Sep 3, 2004

  3. QZ

    Bill Crocker Guest

    I just sold a Sapphire 9600, with a passive heat sink, on eBay. It was not
    an "XT" however. Look here:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40158&item=5117899132

    I'm currently running an "ATI" brand, 9600XT, with the stock heat sink, and
    cooling fan. I've been playing with the OMEGA drivers, and I'm currently
    running with a core speed of 500MHz, and memory speed of 300MHz. Anything
    higher than that, and I start getting artifacts. I don't think you could /
    should run it without a fan. However, if you fit a larger heat sink on it,
    and had good case cooling, you might get away with it.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Sep 3, 2004
  4. QZ

    sunbow Guest

    go to display properties/settings/advanced/overdrive and there it is.

    sunbow, Sep 3, 2004
  5. QZ

    mardi Guest

    Hi, do I need that catalyst control center thingie to see the 'overdrive'
    tab? I have a asus 9600xt with the ati 4.8 drivers and I don't see it.

    mardi, Sep 3, 2004
  6. I'm not certain, but I think that Overdrive thing is for the 9800XT (and
    newer) cards only... not the 9600XT...

    Enormous Genitals, Sep 3, 2004
  7. QZ

    codyw Guest

    Works on my 9600XT, at 36C.

    codyw, Sep 3, 2004
  8. Oh. I didn't realize the 9600XT had that built-in temp monitoring thingy...

    Enormous Genitals, Sep 3, 2004
  9. Overclocked 543/339 31C idle 39C Full load 9600XT Stock cooling

    Evilantlergod, Sep 3, 2004
  10. QZ

    Gary Austin Guest

    I have sapphire 9600xt and my idle temp is 37 deg c.
    Athlon xp 2500 barton
    768mb ddr 333 (pc2700)
    Never gets any hotter than 42deg c even after a few hours on FS9.
    Gary.

    Gary Austin, Sep 3, 2004
  11. QZ

    sunbow Guest

    It should be there, i`m using catalyst 4.8 too. should be next to the VPU
    recover tab on the line with smartgart and 3d options. thats all i can say
    really. :)

    sunbow, Sep 4, 2004
  12. QZ

    Jeff McNulty Guest

    9600XT 525core 304mem 29c

    My card is a ATI version stock cooling. It seems that the sapphire cards
    seem to overclock better that the ATI cards. I think they use better memory
    chips. I cant clock my card any higher than what I have posted.

    Jeff McNulty, Sep 4, 2004
  13. QZ

    QZ Guest

    I also have a CM Praetorian Case which is aluminum, it acts as a heatsink.
    I wonder why it is running warmer (36 deg) compared to others. I think
    Hightech put on a slower fan. IRCC, the Catalyst Panel would bring a an
    alarm if the fan failed, is that correct? It is difficult to see the fan,
    but it appears to be running, since I don't see the fins.
    It was reviewed as being relatively quiet. Probably the ATI version is
    louder.
    I am not even sure the video card is making the most noise, I just was
    expecting a whisper quiet pc, considering the components I chose.

    QZ, Sep 4, 2004