Radeon 9700 Pro freezes frequently in Linux

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Noel Llopis, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Noel Llopis

    Noel Llopis Guest

    I just got a Radeon 9700 Pro. It works without a hitch under Windows, even
    under stress tests. It's not overclocked and has enough power.

    Under Linux, if I have 3D acceleration enabled, it causes KDE to completely
    freeze at random times. Sometimes when the screensaver (GL) is running, and
    sometimes just doing regular work on the desktop, without doing any 3D
    graphics.

    I'm using the latest ATI proprietary Linux drivers (3.11.1) with the stock
    2.4.22-28mdksmp Mandrake 9.2 kernel.

    I was really hoping to play UT2004 and NeverWinter Nights in Linux, so this
    is a bummer. Does anybody know what might be wrong? Is there a more stable
    driver version out there?

    Thanks in advance.

    --Noel

    Noel Llopis, Aug 23, 2004

  2. I would argue there is a more stable kernel, 2.6 specifically.

    I run the ATI drivers and 2.6.3 with a R9700Pro AIW, zero problems
    (unless you count that when I ctrl-alt-f1 to console, and later return
    to the GUI on F7, that the mouse cursor is a garbled .5" square, but as
    soon as I hover over a button, or text entry field, its redrawn, so
    thats minor)

    Oh, and ut2k4 gives better fps to me under linux than under Windows

    Philip Callan, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Has the 2.6 been fixed regarding mouse instability/lockup when
    switching back and forth using a KVM? Even cntrl-alt-F1, cntrl-alt-F7
    would not clear it up on my box.....

    Roger Terwilliger, Aug 23, 2004
  4. I don't use a KVM, so I can't say.

    Philip Callan, Aug 23, 2004
  5. Noel Llopis

    Geoff Guest

    i would consider that a hardware only thing
    ditch the kvm imo :)

    Geoff, Aug 23, 2004