    conflicting info, no clear lead as to which set of GART, whose to use. GART
    Smart? NVIDIA? ATI?
    Li'l help? Thanks, Jim

    Yojimbo, Aug 17, 2005

  2. Yojimbo

    Paul Guest

    Notice that the GART driver, is part of the Unified Driver Package.
    The AGP GART miniport driver is just one of the items in this
    package. The only item I would not use, is the IDE NVIDIA driver.
    For IDE, I use the default Microsoft IDE driver.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_5.10

    After those chipset drivers are installed, you can install the
    package for the 9800Pro. The ATI Catalyst package consists of
    two parts. A video card driver, and the Control Panel stuff.
    They should be in the same download. (I notice when looking
    here, that the video card driver can actually be downloaded
    separately from the Control Panel stuff if you want.)

    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

    The Control Panel cannot work unless the video card driver is
    installed. Similarly, the ATI package won't work, without the
    AGP GART from the nvidia 5.10 unified driver package. There
    will be plenty of reboots ahead of you.

    Another thing to remember, is the ATI software may also check
    for a certain minimum version of DirectX. If you wish, you could
    install this, perhaps just after the Nvidia stuff is loaded, and
    before you try to install the ATI stuff. (Usually, you'll find
    some version of DirectX on the ATI CDROM as well.) The ATI
    installer will probably do this automatically, but I prefer to
    do it myself.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 17, 2005

  3. Yojimbo

    Yojimbo Guest

    Thanks, Paul. That sounds like a coherent action plan.

    Yojimbo, Aug 18, 2005