Radeon 9800 (non-pro) vs. 9600-Pro vs. FX5600-Pro

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Davek, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. Davek

    Davek Guest

    I'm getting ready to buy a new video card. I can't afford a
    top-of-the-line card like the 9800 Pro or GeForceFX 5900.
    I'm trying to make sure I get the most card for my money. I
    want to be able to use this for gaming in addition to the
    "regular" things.

    1. Is the Radeon 9800 non-pro significantly better than the
    9600 Pro for gaming?

    2. Is the Radeon 9800 non-pro significantly better than the
    GeForceFX 5600 Pro for gaming?

    If I buy the 9800 non-pro I'm going a bit over budget, but
    that's o.k. if it is a decent bump in performance for gaming
    (over the 9600-Pro and the 5600-Pro cards).

    TIA
    - Dave Kistner

    Davek, Aug 14, 2003

  2. Davek

    BUFF Guest

    Maybe 50% better.

    BUFF, Aug 14, 2003

  3. Davek

    John Hall Guest

    I just bought a 9800 non pro because I didn't like the reviews for the
    FX5600 or the 9600. They are mid line video cards, but they seem to be
    dumbed down a lot compared to the top of the line cards from Nvidia and ATI.
    The only difference between a 9800 and the pro version seems to be clock
    speed. You get everything else including the latest DirectX 9 capability.
    So I went a bit over budget to make my upgrade from a Geforce 3 classic a
    significant one. Right now I'm very happy with the choice I made. In
    Canada it's 200 bucks cheaper than the pro version which I think is a hell
    of a deal.

    JK

    John Hall, Aug 14, 2003
  4. Davek

    Matt M Guest

    And from what I've read, it's easily overclocked to the Pro specs.

    Matt M, Aug 14, 2003
  5. Davek

    Larc Guest

    | On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:13:31 -0400, "Matt M"
    |
    | >And from what I've read, it's easily overclocked to the Pro specs.
    |
    | - I don't think you need to. :)
    |
    | What seems to be the cost of this card now?

    $254 including shipping from Newegg. The 128MB Pro averages a good $100 more.

    Larc

    §§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§

    Larc, Aug 14, 2003
  6. Davek

    John Hall Guest

    I bought mine at a local retailer not a big box store. Check out some of
    your local neighbourhood PC guys. The 9800 np is a new product and has just
    been released.

    JK

    John Hall, Aug 19, 2003
  7. Davek

    Shane Evans Guest

    I paid £117.50 for a Tyan Tachyon Radeon G9600PRO 8xAGP 128MB DDR
    VGA/DVI/S-Video/Hardware Monitoring Retail Box
    goes like stink wiped the floor with my freinds fx5800

    Shane Evans, Aug 21, 2003