    Are there any websites that have a direct comparison between these two
    cards? What are your opinions on strengths and weaknesses?

    Thanks

    Home Mail, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Home Mail

    Scotter Guest

    My humble opinion:

    In that "last generation" of cards (9800 vs 5900), the Radeon was superior.
    Not by far. But it was. Now the thing is I'm comparing the very high end
    9800 ?XT? with the very high end 5950ultra so I'm assuming you are comparing
    apples to apples when you say 9800 pro vs. FX 5900XT. Tom's Hardware has a
    nice comparison list here:
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

    As opposed to the new generation where I believe the Nvidia is superior.

    And they keep leapfrogging each other because the new ATi 850 is coming I
    hear...

    Of course it depends on what you see as superior.
    Like the current generation the ATi does often beat the Nvidia by a few
    frames per second, barely. But the Nvidia has Shader 3 and 32bit precision
    as opposed to ATi's 24 bit precision. Oh and I hear that Nvidia's drivers
    are still superior. So the CURRENT Nvidia 6800 line is superior in my
    opinion.

    I don't know if ATi's new 850 is finally 32 bit or if it has Shader 3.

    Why care?
    The next gen of games *should* be using Shader 3 but who knows? I know
    FarCry's latest patch uses it. Not sure about Doom3. Half Life I hear is
    optimized for ATi cards.

    Scotter, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Home Mail

    DaveW Guest

    The FX 5900XT is a 5900 model that is clocked SLOWER. The 9800 would blow
    it away.

    DaveW, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Home Mail

    Mac Cool Guest

    Home Mail:
    Each is faster in certain games but except for Half Life2, they are fairly
    close with the 9800 having the overall edge. The 9800Pro wins handily in
    HL2.

    Mac Cool, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Home Mail

    dvus Guest

    I see where the FX5900XT at 400,700 is slower than the plain FX5900 at
    400,850 but with the 9800 clocked at 325,580 I wonder why you feel the
    Radeon is the faster board?

    dvus

    dvus, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Home Mail

    cowboyz Guest

    I have used both the FX5900XT and my current 9800Pro and the 9800pro is alot
    faster. Pipelines, drivers, software optimaizatioin. who knows, it just
    is.

    cowboyz, Dec 3, 2004
  7. Home Mail

    Mac Cool Guest

    DaveW:
    The 5900XT is clocked slower but the memory is faster, the performance
    difference between a 5900 and 5900XT is 0-2%. The 9800Pro is faster in
    many games but not all, overall both cards perform well in most games. The
    9800 does not 'blow away' a 5900XT except in HL2 and Far Cry.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/graphics-cards-2004.html

    Mac Cool, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Home Mail

    Philburg2 Guest

    As I understand it the 5900XT has a ton of overclocking potential, where as
    a 9800 can't overclock well without added cooling.

    Philburg2, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Home Mail

    dvus Guest

    They both have 8 pipes, both are DX9 compatible and the 5900 has
    significantly faster rated chip and memory clocking. But, if you have better
    results with the 9800 that's all that counts, I guess.

    dvus

    dvus, Dec 3, 2004
  10. Home Mail

    cowboyz Guest

    I never really got the point of it but the 5900XT is 2x4 pipelines and the
    9800pro is 1x8. Don't know if this is the difference. All I am saying is
    I put a 5900XT in my machine and benched at about 5000 from memory and then
    with the 9800pro I benched at 5600 (using 3dmark03) So I brought the
    9800pro. (at the time they were both second hand and I had the choice of
    either or for the same money). People rave about the 5900XT. I don't
    know. I am sure if I had chosen that one I would have been happy with it.
    But then again I play HL2 all the time so probably best luck I did pick the
    Ati card.

    cowboyz, Dec 4, 2004
  11. Home Mail

    dvus Guest

    Me neither. Sounds as good as anything.
    It really sucks that software developers code for one piece of hardware and
    ignore another that makes up a significant percentage of what's out there.
    Anyone not optimizing for both Ati and nVidia ought to be made to feel the
    consequences by having their product boycotted by the ignored faction, but I
    doubt that'll ever happen.

    dvus, Dec 4, 2004