Radeon 9800 Pro AIW crashing on games with newest driver.

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Matt Ion, Aug 26, 2007.

  1. Matt Ion

    Matt Ion Guest

    So after months of surviving on an old (5.8 or something) driver and old
    MMC (9.08) on this thing, and having MMC become steadily flakier, I
    finally grabbed the latest driver and MMC for this thing.

    Seems to work alright, MMC is certainly faster to start up, although it
    now has other sorts of flakiness...

    The really annoying thing is that I'm now getting bizarre crashes and
    reboots running games. I tried the free Half Life demos from Steam; the
    Deathmatch one seems okay, but the Lost Coast one causes a reboot a few
    minutes in, every time. I tried loading up trusty old Unreal
    Tournament, and after finishing one or two levels, the video either goes
    blank or gets totally corrupted, and I have to hit the RESET button to
    get it back.

    So what's the deal? Is ATI/AMD ever gonna get their heads out of their
    asses on the software side?

    Matt Ion, Aug 26, 2007

  2. Matt Ion

    First of One Guest

    Reinstall your motherboard AGP GART driver, then set the AGP speed to 4x or
    lower in BIOS. I had to do something similar with my 9800 Pro to avoid
    lockups in BF2 and HL2.
    ATi/AMD already did... by discontinuing the entire AIW line. MMC 9.16 is the
    last you will ever see. Notice there is no AIW variant of the HD2x00 cards.
    Notice there is no nVidia equivalent to the AIW cards, either. Next time
    just get a separate tuner/capture card (from Hauppauge, Leadtek, etc.). That
    way the multimedia software isn't tied to the video card drivers.

    First of One, Aug 27, 2007

  3. Matt Ion

    Matt Ion Guest

    That's no solution. UT worked great with the older driver at full 8X.

    Matt Ion, Aug 27, 2007
  4. Matt Ion

    First of One Guest

    Sure it is. Remember that SmartGART redetects system hardware, sets the AGP
    speed, and turns various AGP features on or off (like FW or SBA). With a
    driver update the AGP settings may have been set differently.

    Keep in mind AGP8x brings exactly zero performance benefits over 4x.

    First of One, Aug 27, 2007