Radeon 9800 Pro Fan Siezes, HeatSink goes critical

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Edmunde Lee, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Edmunde Lee

    Edmunde Lee Guest

    Woe is me.

    I find my nearly brand new Radeon 9800 pro with it's cooling fan
    hanging by 1 of it's 2 mounting posts.

    Upon closer inspection, the fan is siezed, doesn't turn if pushed by
    my finger (without considerable effort).

    Upon closer inspection, the my brandnew ASUS P4C800 mobo has an ugly
    black melt mark right below the AGP port (where the whitehot Radeon
    heatsink lived).

    In short..

    Fan siezed->Heat sink reaches critical mass->mounting post melts, mobo
    melts, sionara $1000 worth of goodies.

    The store I bought it all from is going to try to return it to the
    manufacturer, but they didn't sound very confident in a replacement.
    They said, and I'd tend to agree, that this looks like a user
    initiated issue (overclocking, attempt at a fan mod, etc, etc.)

    Cry for me Argentina...

    Edmunde Lee, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Edmunde Lee

    LionOfJudah Guest

    I'm thinking of getting that new hercules 3d prophet 9800 pro with all them
    heatsinks on the memory chips and stuff..

    when is the r420 coming out?

    LionOfJudah, Sep 24, 2003