    of one or more fans.
    Is this a good thing, or just a gadget that is bad for your system in the
    long run. What is the cooling performance compared to regular cooling?

    Guest, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Guest

    Shep© Guest

    I've read reviews and they have all been favourable.
    My 10 penn'th

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Guest

    Hk45toyohead Guest

    there are no problems related to cooling if you use a sapphire radeon
    wit ha heat pipe , from the reviews i have read , it actually cools
    better then a stock radeon fan , though i am not sure how it is for
    overclocking . with a 9800 pro , you wont need to . These cards are
    used pretty much only for people who want to make a quiet system . go
    for it

    Hk45toyohead, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Guest

    kony Guest

    Passive cooling is a perfectly acceptible solution so long as it
    fulfills your needs... It will keep the core cool enough for quieter
    and stable operation provided you have fair airflow in the chassis,
    and the card should last a fair amount of time, long enoough till it
    doesn't seem very fast or valuable any more, providing they've done
    their homework in the design AND your case is ventilated enough.

    If either of these situations isn't realized, the card may start
    failing when it's cold, a most puzzling situation that a system is
    less stable until it heats up (or higher ambient temps) because the
    capacitors' function more efficiently at higher temps, though they
    also age a LOT faster at higher temps... generally lifespan is
    reduced in half with each 10C rise in temp, IIRC. For more
    clarification on this you can visit a few of the major capacitor
    manufacturer's websites, the spec sheets detail longevity.

    In other words, the card won't last as long but might be obsolete by
    the time it dies. In any case I suggest that you keep the case's PCI
    slot bracket cover off on the slot directly under the card, which may
    quite significantly increase airflow in that region.

    Dave

    kony, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    In other words, the card won't last as long but might be obsolete by
    I would think that it is the other side of the card, the side towards the
    CPU, that needs the airflow, since it's there the generated heat is
    transported to by the heat pipe.

    That also brings me to the problem of fitting the card on a Asus P4C800-E
    Deluxe board, I think the northbridge and its heatsink are located too close
    to the AGP slot. Opinions/suggestions?

    P4C800-E Deluxe layout @
    http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.htm (click to
    enlarge)
    Cooler dimensions @ http://www.sapphiretech.com/broschure/ult-dimension.pdf

    Guest, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Guest

    kony Guest

    No, that is the cooling for the GPU.. GPUs are designed to tolerate
    heat, do not experience as significant a lifespan decrease. It is
    only necessary to keep the GPU cool enough for it to operate stabily.
    The limitiation on the card's lifespan is "usually" the electrolytic
    capacitors, most of which are on the "bottom" of the card.
    It does look like less of a clearance than many boards provide, you
    might have more luck with an aftermarket northbridge 'sink, but
    perhaps even needing to use a hacksaw or ??? other tool to cut it down
    to fit on the side nearer the AGP slot. One that might work is a
    Zalman like this:
    http://www.svcompucycle.com/zanoco.html

    However, another solution for low-noise would be to skip the passive
    vidcard 'sink and add your own... in the past I've had good results
    with an old socket 7 'sink plus a 50-60mm fan RPM-reduced till it's
    inaudible with the case closed.

    Dave

    kony, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    That also brings me to the problem of fitting the card on a Asus P4C800-E
    Here's a picture of the video card in use.

    http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/sapphire-3/sapphire-9800pro-ue-in-back.jpg

    (review: http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/r9800pro-ue.html#p2)

    Looks like it may not be a problem after all

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003
  8. Guest

    kony Guest

    kony, Dec 6, 2003