Radeon Frustration!

Discussion in 'ATI' started by mechanized80021, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. I have a 8500DV (1024Mb RAM) in one machine and a 7500 (768Mb RAM) in
    the other. Both have problems with commercial games.

    Desert Combat (A Battlefield 1942 mod) crashes unless I roll the
    drivers back to what came from the factory on the radeon install
    cdrom.

    I've uninstalled & reinstalled drivers so many times... currently have
    6.14.10.6094 in both machines and still can't get Desert Combat to
    work... Ugh!

    The game Railroad Tycoon 3 has an annoying bug where the cursor blinks
    horribly as you move the mouse.

    Planetside has all kinds of black triangles on the ground, and
    hotspots and other map info simply does not show on the 7500.

    It's a bummer because ATI has some nice features. My 9800 Pro
    captures video well. But I will never buy another ATI product for
    gaming again!

    If anybody can advise me on getting Desert Combat to run on the 8500DV
    and/or the 7500, I'd appreciate it!

    Thanks.

    mechanized80021, Dec 31, 2003

  2. It probably won't help but have you tried the Omega drivers? They are
    based on the original drivers so it shouldn't make a difference but
    I've come to the conclusion that PCs are inhabited by ghosts and it's
    worth a try.

    --

    Julian Richards
    julian-richards "at" ntlworld.com

    Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
    with people that you would never want in your house.

    Julian Richards, Jan 1, 2004

  3. mechanized80021

    J.Clarke Guest

    I haven't noticed the "annoying bug where the cursor blinks horribly as
    you move the mouse" issue with RT3 and the 8500DV. I _did_ notice some
    dead space on the screen once but a reboot cleared it--I suspected at
    the time that the Dvico drivers didn't clean up after themselves but it
    might have been something else. Have a 9800 Pro in that machine now.

    J.Clarke, Jan 1, 2004
  4. mechanized80021

    - Guest

    It would help if you tell what version of DC your are trying to play...

    For me this is:
    0.39 had a serious memory bug that always rendered a BSoD after playing for
    some time.

    0.40 - 0.60 is Ok for me (0.6 and Catalyst 3.9 on a 9800)

    Catalyst 3.10 drivers has a tendence to crash every graphic intensive
    application/game so I wouldn't recommend that one, I've personally
    reinstalled 3.9 which still causes a freeze once in a while when playing DC.

    I also have some problems with Saitek (joystick) and Hyperthreding, this is
    a real pain...I very often get a BSoD after playing DC and the core dump
    always point into the Saitek driver. I have noticed that recalibrate the
    joystick after every boot helps to get rid of the problem but still I forget
    some times and then, BSoD...

    -, Jan 2, 2004
  5. mechanized80021

    bob cox Guest

    What kind of crap systems are you people running? I run a 9700 Pro on
    a P3 1.0 (CRAP!!!) and I've never even had one crash related to video.
    No matter what catalyst version I use. Makes me suspect the people
    who have these problems don't know what they are doing as far as
    installing this driver...or something....when they mention "it has
    atendency to crash", well, that's your system so why should that
    effect mine? Giving probabilities about driver failures is so
    scientifcally moronic and completely arrogant... anyone who says stuff
    like that just plain has no clue...

    bob cox, Jan 5, 2004
  6. mechanized80021

    Strontium Guest

    -
    bob cox stood up at show-n-tell, in
    , and said:

    First of all, moron, what card are you running? And, no, I don't mean what
    model. There are plenty of SHITTY mfg's out there. The infinite loop did
    not just appear, out of thin air.

    Dumb ass.

    Strontium, Jan 5, 2004