    If so, does it actually work? ;-)

    Regards,
    Evert

    Evert Meulie, Nov 8, 2004

  2. I have a SB81P set up that way. I have two 200GB SATA disks. I
    created a 40GB RAID 1 volume and a 292GB RAID 0 volume. Seems to work
    great!

    Thad

    Thad Touchton, Nov 21, 2004

  3. Evert Meulie

    Evert Meulie Guest

    Where is the setup/partitioning being done? At boot-up in the BIOS, or
    in WinXP?

    Regards,
    Evert Meulie

    Evert Meulie, Nov 22, 2004
  4. It's in the BIOS for the RAID controler. During bootup, there's an
    option to press '<cntrl> I' to enter the RAID controler BIOS. That
    utility shows the physical drives and allows you to manipulate
    logicial volumes. In my case I created a logical volume that's 40GB
    in size and specified RAID 1. I created another logical volume that's
    292GB and specified RAID 0. Once done, the OS sees this as two
    logical drives.......

    The documentation shipped with the SB81P is quite good for the RAID
    stuff. There is a utility that allows you to perform many RAID
    functions from Windows. I've used it to view the status of the
    logical and physical volumes, but since I was only making two logical
    volumes, using the BIOS was quicker. And, one of the volumes was my
    'boot partition'. Had to do that one from the BIOS.

    Thad

    Thad Touchton, Nov 22, 2004
  5. Evert Meulie

    Evert Meulie Guest

    Sounds good! :)
    As soon as those nit-wits ship me my other drive and the RAM I'll go
    play with it right away! :)
    I think I'll have more than 2 partitions on my 2x300GB set though... ;-)

    Evert

    Evert Meulie, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Evert Meulie

    Evert Meulie Guest

    And besides this 2xS-ATA setup I will also be able to hook up a P-ATA
    drive as well, right?
    (I have 2 P-ATA drives laying around and am planning on using one of
    them as 'temp-disk'. Although... Maybe a striped partition on the
    2xS-ATA will be faster than the P-ATA?)

    Regards,
    Evert

    Evert Meulie, Nov 25, 2004
  7. The only thing I've connected to my IDE interface is a DVD/CD-RW
    drive. I would assume you could connect a hard drive there as well.
    But, if you are looking for speed, I think your comment on using a
    striped volume from your SATA RAID is correct.

    Thad

    Thad Touchton, Nov 25, 2004
  8. Evert Meulie

    Evert Meulie Guest

    I'm not sure... Striped or not, a temp drive on the RAID-volume would
    still have to share 'the line' with the other partitions there. If I
    were to use a P-ATA drive instead, then that one would be on its own
    line, right?

    Hmm, this is something I'm gonna test as soon as I have the system up.
    Currently it's waiting for the [beep]-guys at Norek to ship me my
    graphics card... :-/

    Regards,
    Evert Meulie

    Evert Meulie, Nov 26, 2004